Who is Mary Sue?
Mary Sue is the name given to a dull character found all too often in fanfic. She can be identified by the following traits:
1. She is usually beautiful, but may bear a striking resemblence to the author of the fanfic.
2. She may share the name of the author of the fanfic.
3. She frequently has special abilities.
4. She’s always saving the day.
5. At least one canon character falls in love with her.
6. She’s virtuous, lacking character flaws of any kind.
7. All the good characters in the story just seem naturally drawn to her.
If you have written a main character into one of your stories who possesses many or all of these qualities, beware! You may be the creator of a Mary Sue (or her lesser-known cousin, Gary Stu). Get a beta reader to look over your work, lest this infamous pest overtake you.