Hair colours of Narnian characters

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Hair colours of Narnian characters

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 am

.......... 8-) I kinda want to draw this now.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Go onnnnnnn!! :D ;) :roll:
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 am

*is now doing a dorky little drawing on my Kindle* If it turns out okay I'll post it in Narnian Fan Art.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 pm

That is a lot of blondes. I wonder, though, if maybe some of them could've had brown hair, but just spent a lot more time outdoors and in the sunshine than modern earth people, turning their hair blonde.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 am

Hm, that’s possible. My hair is lighter now than when I was very little (though I’m sure not anywhere near blonde). Back in the day, people would ask if I had black hair. No way could they make that mistake now. And the more I’m in the sun, the more my natural gold highlights come through.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon May 25, 2020 8:48 am

Wow, this is a bit of an old thread. Rereading it has kind of made me want to try drawing a ginger Tirian again....
Okay but I've noticed that in a huge majority of books from the mid 1800's to mid 1900's, unless for some reason it's very, very, very important to the story somehow, regular brown hair isn't mentioned because it was apparently that common.
As concerns characters, I think I generally think of Peter as having a kind of medium brown (or that kind of brown-blonde) hair that would get lighter the more time he spent in the sun. It's a bit cheating, I know, because it lets me picture him with pretty much any shade of brown, but it's a thing that could totally happen.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Interesting, brown just being taken for granted like that.
Is it really cheating if that’s really how you imagine Peter, though? ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:26 pm

hobbit_of_narnia wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:48 am
Okay but I've noticed that in a huge majority of books from the mid 1800's to mid 1900's, unless for some reason it's very, very, very important to the story somehow, regular brown hair isn't mentioned because it was apparently that common.
So, we can assume they have brown hair if it is not mentioned?
This is getting off topic, but how important is it to even describe hair and eye color, etc for characters? Is it better to let readers assume your main character looks like them?
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
narniannetty
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by narniannetty » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 pm

I just can't see Edmund as blonde. His personality doesn't fit it but oh well.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 pm

HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:26 pm
So, we can assume they have brown hair if it is not mentioned?
This is getting off topic, but how important is it to even describe hair and eye color, etc for characters? Is it better to let readers assume your main character looks like them?

I dunno, I just kind of do personally. Brown has a lot of variety, so I generally assume everyone has brown hair until I'm told otherwise (unless I saw fanart with a different color first).
As concerns your second question...that's a good point. Half the time I describe characters gradually but try not to make the same description more than twice over the course of the story unless it's really striking or important. I usually don't picture characters as having my eye color or hair color (except I indulged myself in imagining one relatively barely-described Tolkien character as having a couple of similarities to me, mostly so I could use myself as reference when I'm drawing him), but now that you mention it...that's like...an oddly clever way for an author to let the readers kind of slide into the story. "Sure she could look like you, since I never say the color of her hair."

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”