How do you say it?

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

elanorelle
Contributor

How do you say it?

Post by elanorelle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:40 am

Anytime I read through CoN I always wonder how others might pronounce names and places.

Here are some from HHB next to how I would pronounce each:

Aravis- Air-uh-viss

Lasaraleen- Laz-uh-ruh-leen

Ahoshta- Aw-hosh-tuh

Rabadash- Rab-uh-dash

Tisroc- Tiss-rock

Tashbaan- Tash-ban

Your thoughts? How do you pronounce these? Are there any other names/places/words that you think you may pronounce differently? By all means please share. :D
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: How do you say it?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 am

I tend to say:

Tisroc as tiz-rok
Lasaraleen as lass-are-ah-leen
Tashbaan as tash-bahn
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 am

Excellent question:

Unfortunately, this isn't the best way to explain pronunciation, since we don't always understand what other people mean by their explanations, and with different accents I get very confused. (Like the a in Shasta and castle sound completely different to me, but might sound the same to people of different accents). Anyway, it's the best we can do so I suppose we can try.

*resists the urge to use IPA symbols*

[end linguistic rant]

I say:

Aravis- Arr-uh-viss

Lasaraleen- Laz-ruh-leen (not sure why I leave out the second syllable - laziness probably)

Ahoshta- Uh-hosh-ta

I also say Tiss-rock, not Tiz-rock
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
miniver
ROotL

Post by miniver » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 pm

This is what comes of so many of us reading the books by ourselves and just making up the most logical pronunciations.

I also say ARR-a-viss and TIZZ-roc. I say LAZZ-uh-ruh-leen, but I often glide over the second syllable as Ajjie does.

But I think I've goofed up the names of both of the countries, judging by the FOF readings. I have always said KAL-or-men, and they say kah-LOR-men. I also give Archenland a soft ch, like chirp (ARCH-en-land), and I think most people pronounce the ch as k: ARK-en-land.

I emphasize the second syllable of Ahoshta but the first syllable of Tisroc and Tashbaan. Yipes! I speak Calormene with an accent.
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 am

I've wondered about this myself. For myself I pronounce Aravis as "AIR-uh-vis. I find it interesting that some tend to glide over one of Las's syllables. I don't, probably because I emphasize that middle syllable. :P I prounounce Lasaraleen as "Laz-AIR-uh-leen. It's almost impossible to drop the word forms you accent :P Technically, if I was using proper American pronounciation for Ahoshta, it'd be your way, Nora, but I'm lazy and pronounce the "aw" as "uh." I also share the pronunciation of Rabadash with Nora.

When it comes to Tisroc, I pronounce it TIZ-rock. But the z is very weak and sounds closer to an sz sound. Difficult to explain, but half-way between a "zz" and a "ss"

:)
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:50 pm

The one I found out I've apparently been pronouncing "wrong" is Archenland. I pronounce is AR-chin-land. Apparently it's ARK-hen-land. But the alternate pronunciation for Aslan (uh-SLAN, with a hissing "s") always makes me laugh whenever I hear it. I pronounce it AZ-lan (or AZ-lun ;) ).
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:39 am

@hobbit: do you mean uh-SLAN or ASS-lan? (The latter is the correct pronunciation. Turkish and all. :) )
knight and scribe
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:41 am

I've heard a couple people pronounce it uh-SLAN.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Huh. I've never heard that one before.
knight and scribe
Esprit
Knight

Post by Esprit » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 am

The only pronunciation of these that I have noticeably different from everyone on the thread is the name Aravis, I believe. Most of these words I think I've played around with a lot, with different vowel sounds and syllable emphasis, but for some reason Aravis has always been uh-RAY-vis to me (or ah-RAY-vis if I wasn't from the South).
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ―Victor Hugo

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”