Between PC and HBB

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Tenethia
Site Admin

Between PC and HBB

Post by Tenethia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm

I was recently pondering what could have happened in between the time when the Pevensies left Narnia after the Horse and his Boy, and their return in Prince Caspian. In the film, it seemed like a much shorter time after the Pevensies left that the Telmarines actually attacked. But in reality there was a period of time between when the Pevensies left and when the Telmarines attacked. Who was ruling Narnia in that period of time?

Also in the film, Trumpkin made it seem like Aslan had just deserted them and forced them to face the problem all on their own. I seriously doubt that. My own idea was that Aslan had been there and told the Narnians a way of escape, yet they rejected it, and He left them to do it their own way.

Any thoughts?
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Between PC and HBB

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 pm

If I had the time and inspiration, I'd respond by writing out the fanfiction ideas I've been calling "The Dark Age Chronicles" :P . According to the Lewis timeline (which, honestly, I totally disregard when it comes to the kids' ages, heh-heh), yes, there was a gap between the Golden Age and the Telmarine Age (so, yeah, the Dark Age). I imagine that the Pevensies' sudden disappearance caused some amount of pandemonium, though it's logical that they had at least selected a regent as an in-case measure.
Some speculate that Peridan or Corin might have taken over. True, Corin could have grown up and taken up the mantle of duty, but I'm not so sure on that. I have a more stock in Peridan, but I'm not dogmatic on that by any means.
After the regent-slash-new-king? Well, I haven't really formed any solid theories on that. Obviously, Narnia fell into some disrepair (hence the Dark Ages). Other countries would probably try to take over. I suspect rebellions, factions, civil wars. And yet it doesn't necessarily have to have been that way, or at least not for all of that time. There could easily have been a dynasty or two, even relatively peaceful ones.

As for Trumpkin's view of Aslan, remember that in the book, he didn't even believe in Aslan, not even to blame him for leaving Narnia in the lurch. In the movie, he is (come to think of it), kind of like some atheists: not believing ("I'm not jumping off a cliff after somebody that doesn't exist") and yet still blaming God (" thought he abandoned us when you lot did"). By the Telmarine Age, a good number of Narnians (Trumpkin included) had "lost the faith" so to speak, though there were still those who were faithful (like Trufflehunter and Glenstorm). Narnia had begun to forget/disregard their own history, not unlike the Israelites forgetting God's goodness to them time and again and then blaming God for abandoning them when things went wrong. Basically, all I'm saying is that yeah, you're probably right in saying that Aslan had provided ways of escape, whether directly or indirectly; but because of skewed and self-justifying thoughts, some Narnians failed to recognize it even after the fact.

If any of that made sense at all. :D
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 am

Mr Lewis, also expressed similar sentiments I recall.

Lewis: “I was at this time living, like so many Atheists or Antitheists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing...”

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:

>
> As for Trumpkin's view of Aslan, remember that in the book, he didn't even
> believe in Aslan, not even to blame him for leaving Narnia in the lurch. In
> the movie, he is (come to think of it), kind of like some atheists: not
> believing ("I'm not jumping off a cliff after somebody that doesn't
> exist") and yet still blaming God (" thought he abandoned us when
> you lot did").
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 am

I really liked your thoughts, Ariel. And that quote by Lewis is perfect, Lil.

I know Wilf (Writer Freak 101) was working on a story about this. I'm not sure how far he got or if he published any of it.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks, Ajjie. :)

Wilf published a couple chapters, stopped, and then took it down.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 am

I think EveningStar posted a story I think during this time (maybe more than one?) in the Narniafans Dancing Lawn Forum...not that that helps any.

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”