Narnian food!

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Narnian food!

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 am

@ the coffee cake: Uh....that looks AMAZING....I'm hungry now...
@the cookbook: Okay, so I hardly ever cook at all but...I think I'd give some of those recipes a try just for the sake of the Narnia-ness. :lol:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 am

*cuts a virtual slice for you* :D
Perhaps if I make one that sounds very Narnian and tastes amazing, I’ll copy the recipe to the thread.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Please do Ariel!

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 am
(exactly how many puddings are there and what exactly qualifies something to be a pudding anyway? Best I can figure is that it’s poured into a mold, baked, and holds its shape when taken out. Can someone more versed in English food explain?)
Pudding in the old sense of the word is a kind of cake with a thick sauce poured over it. I think eventually people started just making the thick sauce and that's what we call pudding now.

When my grandmother used to make Christmas pudding, it was a kind of cake cooked by steaming in jars with raisins and grated carrot and potato in the batter, and then served with a thick caramel sauce.

And then there's Yorkshire pudding which is basically a kind of bread that you pour gravy on.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Hm, so it's the sauce that makes the distinction between a cake and a pudding? Interesting. Thanks for the explanation, Swan! (Yorkshire pudding especially now makes way more sense in that light.)
knight and scribe
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:48 am

I somehow missed this in May - May was crazy for me. Mrs Beeton is quite an old standard, I understand. And there's the Townsends channel on YouTube, where they do a lot of videos of 18th century recipes, if you're further interested in the history of cooking. They have a number of puddings, too. Then there's Mrs Crocombe / The Victorian Way series that the English Heritage channel does - with the warning that Mrs Crocombe was cooking in a large manor house, so their recipes aren't always your *everyday* Victorian recipes. Both are just about the wholesomest thing on YouTube these days, highly popular and highly recommended. :-)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Cool! I’d say I’d have to check them out if I remember to, but I just know I’d forget.... -_-
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Today is the 65th anniversary of HHB's publication, so I wanted to make something for it. I chose to whip up some fool. Man, this stuff must have been amazing to Shasta, who's probably never even heard of whipped cream or eaten anything so light and cool. The yellowy one is gooseberry, but as I couldn't get my hands on fresh gooseberries, I had to settle with using gooseberry jam and then toning it down a little with some applesauce. The purpley one is blueberry 'cause I couldn't get mulberries (not even sure they're remotely available where I'm at...). So yeah, I had to cheat, but they tasted great all the same. :D
1.png
1.png (58.2 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
2.png
2.png (74.37 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
3.png
3.png (63.24 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
4.png
4.png (70.54 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
5.png
5.png (65.48 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
6.png
6.png (73.19 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
knight and scribe
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm

So cool Ariel! I never really knew what a fool (in the food sense) was before :) That's such a great way to celebrate HHB's birthday.

If you made a Narnian cook book, I would buy it.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm

I had no clue what it was either until I looked it up for this!
Heh, I’m flattered, but I’m so dependent on others’ recipes that none of them would be mine. It does make me curious about the Narnia cookbooks that are out there, though.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Swanwhite wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm
So cool Ariel! I never really knew was a fool (in the food sense) was before :) That's such a great way to celebrate HHB's birthday.
If you made a Narnian cook book, I would buy it.
I wasn't familiar with it either at, Swanny.
Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm
I had no clue what it was either until I looked it up for this!
Heh, I’m flattered, but I’m so dependent on others’ recipes that none of them would be mine. It does make me curious about the Narnia cookbooks that are out there, though.
I have the Narnia cookbook on Kindle and I could pass along any recipes if you wanted, Ariel. Those also look very tasty, Ariel!
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”