Narnian food!

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Narnian food!

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 am

I like Turkish Delight. :D I’ve come across a few flavours I quite like.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 pm

I can see how Turkish delight is a disappointment to some, but I'm somewhat fond of it. Especially if it's good quality stuff and fresh!
Of course it could just be that I trick myself into liking anything associated with Narnia. I even eat sardines sometimes for that reason.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Turkish Delight is good if you eat only one or two pieces at a time and buy authentic Turkish Delight from an imported food store.

I bought a tin of eel, but I haven't worked up the courage to try it yet. (I think it expired.)
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Yeah, I've had lokum as authentic as it probably can get in my country... there's a Turkish woman at work who brought a tray once, and then I had some at a multicultural evening sort of event at church, with some of the asylants/immigrants my church's charity works with - that time there were several flavours, and I quite enjoyed all those I sampled.
It's not something I'd want to have a lot of and often, but at the same time I can understand that you might if you like sweet things (which I've gone rather more light on in recent years).
The weird part for me is, that the time I tasted it at work is the first time I recall, and yet the taste seemed familiar, like I'd had it before without knowing what it was, but I can't recall when...
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:56 pm

*eyes marmota and suspects she’s visited Narnia before even if she has no memory of it* ;)
knight and scribe
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 pm

I know, it's odd! :D
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:47 am

Today was National Coffee Cake Day, so I drew inspiration from LWW and made a sugar-topped cake, one of the items Tumnus served Lucy. Because the book doesn't give any further description than that, I pretty much had free rein, but in the interest of going for what I think is a likely flavour, I chose to bake a cranberry cake, since cranberries are a wintery fruit. And then the cake itself needed some pizazz for pictures, so I took my leftover cranberries and sugar-coated them. :D
IMG_0011b.jpg
IMG_0011b.jpg (174.96 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
IMG_0016b.jpg
IMG_0016b.jpg (172.1 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
IMG_0018b.jpg
IMG_0018b.jpg (179.04 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
IMG_0021b.jpg
IMG_0021b.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
knight and scribe
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm

That's lovely!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks, marmota!
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 am

Guys, I’m dead tired but I just have to share! Today, I went to my library to see if they still had some antique-esque books on their for-sale shelf (they did) and, while browsing, my eyes fell upon a thick book titled “Mrs Beeton’s Book of Cookery”. Curious, I took it off the shelf and cracked it open. It was old and required a deeper look, so I added it to my pile of books to purchase. After supper, I skimmed through and skipped around, checking out the recipes therein (there’s also stuff on good housekeeping, menu-making, and such). And I was basically transported to Narnia by some of the stuff I found! There are recipes for meats I’ve either never eaten or rarely have, like pheasant, quail, mutton, and hare. There’s one for sardine toast (which makes me wonder if I’ve been very wrong about my mental image of Tumnus’ toast with sardines... this book has the sardines mixed with stuff on the stove and then poured over toast). There are foods that are so very English (exactly how many puddings are there and what exactly qualifies something to be a pudding anyway? Best I can figure is that it’s poured into a mold, baked, and holds its shape when taken out. Can someone more versed in English food explain?) and ones that might not be “so very” English but sound exactly like the sort of things you’d find in Narnia. The instructions on setting up a menu seem something like the feasts in Narnia. And turns out I was wrong about my understanding of the Giants’ man-pie recipe: I’d thought that the pie was done in layers of fish, man, and joint. Turns out that my dad’s interpretation was right because he said that the pie would be served between the fish course and the joint course.
So basically, I’ve spent a few hours skimming through this thing and I’m so glad I found it. Worth way more than the $2 the library charged. (Note that the first edition was published in 1861 but has since been expanded upon a great deal. I have one of these later editions, though I don’t know what year mine was printed. Also note that the book (the recipes in particular) is basically a library of mostly other people’s work, not Mrs Beeton’s original stuff ‘cause she wasn’t much of a cook. Her story actually seems rather sad....)
Anyway. Just wanted to share that. If I make anything out of it that seems of a Narnian nature, I’ll let you know!
knight and scribe

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”