Calender

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

narniac101
Contributor

Re: Calender

Post by narniac101 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 pm

:P

But then, let's not forget that Narnia started out with rulers from Earth, Frank and Helen. :P If anybody, they're probably the ones who introduced the Narnians to the names of the months as we have them in our world, not to mention other various things that would have taken anybody a long time to invent without the help of some otherworldly technological knowledge and ideas. :P *coughcough at Mrs. Beaver's sewing machine*
Thank you, Hobbit!
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:41 am

This is true, but considering that language and names can change over the course of hundreds of years, it be might possible other names could have been adopted and reverted back after they were reintroduced by the Telamrines. This is just theory, of course.
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Considering Frank and Helen came from our world, too, I've always thought (always since I began thinking about it) it had existed side by side from the beginning, or evolved side by side from the beginning, anyway. I think the natural-world names must be more commonly used, in Narnia at least, because they would be more obvious to the Beasts and other beings; who's August again? ;-) It's also quite possible that Telmarines, having also come from Spare Oom and not being in contact with nature and Beasts and whatnot, would use the Latin/English calendar more, or even exclusively.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:22 am

That's true.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:29 pm

It also has to do with the Czech calendar: we're one of the fewer European nations that use their own names for months, and they are often related to the natural world (rather than some deities or whatnot), just like the names in Lithuanian and Finnish (the other two languages that have it their own way I'm aware of). I'm sure Lewis, being a philologist, was aware of that and that was why he did it that way.
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:42 pm

That's neat, Marmota! :D (I'd much rather not have months named after some deities or other, but... oh well, I guess I'm not in charge of naming months ;) )
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”