Real life "narnian places" - the wood between the worlds and more...

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

trufflehunter
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Real life "narnian places" - the wood between the worlds and more...

Post by trufflehunter » Sun May 31, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi all. Have you ever been somewhere or looked at a view and thought, "this looks just like narnia"? I visited a place yesterday, and everywhere I looked it was Narnian! Then I couldn't believe my eyes, they had a wood that was so like the MN wood, I nearly cried! I'd love to post links to my pictures of the places here, but is that allowed? I wasn't sure about the rules.

Also,I'd love to hear about any time you've seen a narnian looking place. We could maybe have a thread to add our narnian places to?
narniac101
Contributor

Re: Real life "narnian places" - the wood between the worlds and more...

Post by narniac101 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

That... is really cool, Trufflehunter! :shock: I wish we had some more Narnian-like things around where I live.

One of the archery tournaments I went to a few weeks ago was in a totally different area of my state, and there were actually mountains there so I was really excited. :lol: (with all them rocks and mudslides and stuff like that ;) ) It looked a lot like the part of Narnia you see in PC-movie when they're trying to get to Aslan's How. :P And there was even a few gullies and creek things too! :D

Plussssssssssssss... I finally convinced my dad to get a lamppost for our front yard! :mrgreen: We have a lot of trees in our yard, so it would... uh.. look sort of like Narnia with the lamppost in it. :) Especiallyyyyyyyyyyyy if it snowed. (I asked about getting a toffee tree too, but he said we probably wouldn't... :roll: ;) )
Thank you, Hobbit!
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 pm

@Trufflehunter -- the rule is that if people aren't in it, you can show it, but if you want to share a link with the pictures, you need to get it approved by Tooky first :)
And also you can't tell us the location if you live nearby it.

I live a long long way from British Columbia. Penticton reminds me in so many ways of Narnia. The woods and the water and the temperature. It's so... Narnian there.
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 pm

I feel like this is an incredibly obvious location, but New Zealand looks an awful lot like Narnia :P

@Tenny, yeah, B.C. is gorgeous - some of the forests look pretty identical to Lantern Waste
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:53 am

I have an even more obvious location, Shield: Britain (well the countryside parts). When I was in England I think the most Narnian places I went were:

Woodland places: The CS Lewis Reserve (next to the Kilns), The Wytham Woods (Just outside Oxford - went for a walk there with the CS Lewis society once) and most especially the Forest of Dean (in Gloustershire - which is like one of the oldest forest in England). There were also a couple woodland places in the Lake District where my friend and I commented on...actually I think it was more Lord of the Rings, but could have passed for Narnia too.

Coastal places: We were on this little island/peninsula off Angelsey in Wales that my friend said she could imagine having stepped out of the world into Narnia

Ruins: I went to a few places with ruins that were rather Narnian - Greenlaugh castle (what's left of it) in Lancashire, Beaumaris Castle in Angelsey and the ruins of the Old Sarum cathedral in Salisbury.

There are a few parts of Sommerset that are quite Narnian - especially when it had been raining a lot and it was very green. Glastonbury Tor was pretty cool.

And finally my college in Oxford had massive gardens with a lake, so sometimes walking around there, though we were technically in a city, felt rather Narnian. Especially because there were lots of lampposts.

At some point I'll scour through my photos of these places and share a couple with you guys :D
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:45 am

There's this state park near our house, and we sometimes go hiking there. Man, it looks like the gorge in that one scene where Lucy sees Aslan. My mom even said it did.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
trufflehunter
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by trufflehunter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 pm

It sounds like we've all seen somewhere narnia-ish! The place I was at isn't near me, it's called Lowther castle. I'll get the photos oked, then post a new narnia-ish photo thread in case anyone else wants to add more! It looks like this world reminds us of narnia, just like narnia reminded people of the 'real narnia'!
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello, I live in the Czech Republic and it happens a lot! There's a river valley in a forested area we went to almost every year that was the model for how I imagined River Rush in Prince Caspian and the landscape around. And we have, if I'm not mistaken, the highest concentration of castles per landmass in the world - so, obviously, that also works.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:28 am

Marmota, hey! *waves* All of that sounds so cool!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 am

That's so neat, Marmota! :)
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”