What Attracts You to Narnia?

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

What Attracts You to Narnia?

Post by sochi602 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm wondering what attracts you, personally, to Narnia. Is it the way C.S. Lewis writes? The way the movies were made? Or perhaps the way it is so much more family friendly and more imagination filled than some of the stuff today?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What Attracts You to Narnia?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:11 pm

I think the fact it was the first fantasy story I ever read. I loved the idea of talking animals and centaurs and all these elements mashed together in one story, and it was easy to read while still having a somewhat complex storyline. So because of this I read it over and over until I felt perfectly at home there, and as a result I'm still a major Narnia fanatic.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:17 am

Perhaps it is because it was my first major reading comprehension challenge too.

But there is an athmosphere, which is beyond that. It is not JUST the Christian thematics and a sense of coming close to what's holy, it is also a kind of adventurous and well humoured spirit along the roads.

Seriously, I think we have both read some fantasy in Disney previous to reading Narnia. Like adventures where Donald Duck drinks sth and gets superpowers, or ... plus technically Disney is Ruritanian level fantasy inasmuch as geography is not that of our world.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't remember any Disney movies I may have watched before Narnia. I might have watched "The Fox and the Hound" or "Bambi" or "Lady and the Tramp", but I don't remember it.
And I agree with you, Hans, about the atmosphere surrounding Narnia. It's the innocence of it along with the depth of the meaning combining and making it such a fantastic story.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:04 pm

What I liked when I read it was that all of the characters were easy to relate to, and close to my age. :) Some of them still are, but anyway. It's that things happen to regular people, not a few kings or queens that were kings or queens from the start. At least in the Pevensie's case. It was easier to imagine myself as a character in Narnia when there were already regular people there. And that it has Talking Animals, and creatures that we don't have in this world, along with Magic. It's kind of something that's hard to not like when you're young, and even so when you're not. There's lots of variety, as in having a story that's set in a desert, one on the sea, the rest on regular ground and one underneath, plus points of humor and thought throughout the books. Along with they have pretty epic clothes and weapons. (In the movies and in the books. :mrgreen: ) So there're my thoughts on it.
Thank you, Hobbit!
thegoldenchesspiece
Location: Searching for secret Hydra base with Falcon, Black Widow, and Cap.

Post by thegoldenchesspiece » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 pm

My favorite thing about Narnia is that it is an allegory. I love allegories and Lewis's style of writing also attracted me. There's something different in his and Tolkien's writings that I can't help but admire. The way they put character into I really enjoy the movies and I think they are what made me realize how much other people liked the books. They're children's stories, for adults, you know? They are so simple, but in a good way, complicated as well. Very notable.
(Thanks for the set, Featherfish. :P )
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Wow. HArd question. I was attracted to it by the freedom of imagination, and the imagination put into it. The talking animals, the weaponry, especially the Centaurs. I love the battles, just about everything about Narnia! C.S. Lewis dd write it well, and that allows for more reason to like it. It fit into my head mainly because it was another world created, other than our own. Things like the fact that Narnia was created with a song immediately attracted me. What I believe in shows up in Narnia.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:49 am

thegoldenchesspiece wrote:My favorite thing about Narnia is that it is an allegory. I love allegories and Lewis's style of writing also attracted me.
Chess, If you love allegories, you might enjoy an allegory C. S. Lewis wrote: The Pilgrim's Regress. Tolkien also wrote exactly one, Leaf by Niggle (though some might add Smith of Wootton Major).

Narnia was a what, did you say?
thegoldenchesspiece
Location: Searching for secret Hydra base with Falcon, Black Widow, and Cap.

Post by thegoldenchesspiece » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 am

hansgeorg wrote:Chess, If you love allegories, you might enjoy an allegory C. S. Lewis wrote: The Pilgrim's Regress. Tolkien also wrote exactly one, Leaf by Niggle (though some might add Smith of Wootton Major).

Narnia was a what, did you say?
YES, I've read The Pilgrim's Progress two to three times and it is an amazing allegory and well written, although I believe it was written by John Bunyan... :? Speaking of whom, also wrote The Holy War, another extremely well written allegory. Definitely a must-read.

I said that Narnia was an allegory didn't I? :lol: I meant the series: The Magicians Nephew through to The Last Battle. :)
Last edited by thegoldenchesspiece on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Thanks for the set, Featherfish. :P )
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 am

@Chess: hansgeorg was referring to The Pilgrim's Regress by CS Lewis (of which I only read a little bit a few years ago... I need to pick that up again at some point).
(Discussion on the definition of allegory and such should be moved to a more appropriate thread or to PMs, please, so as not to gum up this thread.)

--

Anyway, it's about time I put my two cents toward this thread.

I've never grown out of juvenile fiction, so that bit was never an issue for me. I actually listened to the Focus on the Family audio dramatizations before I read the book (a friend forced me to take her CDs home and give them a listen in the summer of 2005; I acquired the books about a week and a half before LWW came out in theaters). So I guess I kept listening because I was interested in the adventures. Actually, yes, that's the case, because I later ranked the books by how much I liked their respective adventures: SC and PC at the top, MN at the bottom, so on. So, yeah, adventure came first, then other aspects like the characters and the spiritual implications. I enjoyed how different that world was, how anything could happen, how very ordinary kids achieved great things in relatively ordinary ways (eg: walking across a wilderness for days in order to complete a quest as opposed to having some sort of magical powers or whatever).

While I had picked up on several spiritual themes from the get-go, I continued to pick them up upon repeated readings: something would stick out in PC this time, in VDT another time, in MN later, so on. I read Finding God in the Land of Narnia (Jim Ware and Kurt Bruner) a couple years after I got into Narnia and did have a couple "oh, yeah, hadn't thought of that that way before moments" in the midst of "yeah, I already knew that". I think two years ago now, I also had some of that when I read Planet Narnia (Michael Ward), which, even though the book's goal is definitely not to "find God in the land of Narnia", still brought up things that reminded me of God all the same.

Sometime between the film releases of PC and VDT was when Narnia became not so much children's stories with spiritual themes, but spiritual themes woven, tucked away, packed tight in the guise of children's stories. In other words, I started to focus less on the adventures (even though I still immensely enjoy them, don't get me wrong), and more on the little nuggets of truth just waiting for me to re/discover. Now, that is the prevalent thing I see in the series. HHB, which had originally ranked on the lower half of the scale, rocketed up to the top one day when I realized that Aslan, despite only physically showing up about five times and rather briefly, was all over the story; that and his "I am the Lion" monologue instilled a sense of "O-o-o-o-o-o-o-oh... wow, is that ever amazing!" in me. Last year, I read (well, actually, more like skimmed through) LB for a read-it-in-a-week session and I was this close to crying (first time I ever got anywhere near that emotional over Narnia) for the sheer beauty of it all when Tumnus said how the further up and further in one goes, the bigger it all gets. (LB now ranks #2 on my list.) And get this, sometimes when I'm having a difficult time, my dad will use Narnia on me to help me out: "Remember that part in PC when _______?" or "This is no different than __________ in HHB." or such like.

As it stands now (and has done so for a few years now), my attraction to Narnia is summed up in two quotes:
"[In your world,] I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." ~ Aslan
"The value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity." ~ C.S. Lewis
While I may not have met Aslan face to face in his fictional, leonine glory in a fictional world of wonders, I, as a reader of fiction, have come to know him, and thus have also seen Christ at a different angle and through the veil of familiarity. And that, my friends, is the reason I love Narnia.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”