What Attracts You to Narnia?

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Ajnos
Site Admin

Re: What Attracts You to Narnia?

Post by Ajnos » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm

I don't think I've ever noticed this thread before, or maybe I've just forgotten. O.o

That must have been spectacular daughterofeve3! It's always special when we see or read to something that reminds us so much of our own experience. You're making me feel my age because I had just finished my last year of school when LWW came out in theatres. But we had read some of the Narnia books in school when I was a child and it even crept into some of the games I played with my siblings (we had our own imaginary worlds).

I think there is a combination of things that attract me. Lewis' style, of course. And the characters (especially the non-human creatures with such human but non-human personalities). The places he describes also have this sense of wonder that's so exciting you really wish you could be there. And there's such a range of exciting paces from the woods around Lantern Waste to Cair Paravel and the islands in VDT. The two parts which touched me most the first time I read them were the end of VDT (approaching Alsan's Country) and the end of TLB (inside Alsan's Country).
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
daughterofeve3
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Post by daughterofeve3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks, I happy to share my love for Narnia. (Although, saying that I was convinced that it was about my life, is a little bit of an exaggeration.) I just find the characters (not just Lucy) very reliable to things my own life and honesty not all the things I relate it to my life are good (I am far from perfect.) But I like it when Characters are shown with their struggles, and brokenness that makes real. I think C.S.Lewis did a fantastic job at make at making his characters real, and as corny as it may sound, I hope to shows that realness in my own characters that I want to write.

Also, Ajnos I know what you mean with Lewis describes. When I first read the books the different describeions, made me love Narnia more, especially Aslan's Country.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 am

In truth the first time I met Narnia was the cartoon of "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". At first I watched it because there was nothing else to watch. Then I saw the Lion dying for Edmund's treason and I thought, "I think I heard a story like this one." And when he came back to life I knew I had heard a similar story before. Then I watched a year or so later the movie and then got all seven books and read them. For me it is the story behind the story that attracts me the most. The stories themselves are very good too.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

“The story behind the story”. Well stated, knight!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”