Jadis vs. Aslan

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

sochi602
Regular: Meeting Father Christmas

Jadis vs. Aslan

Post by sochi602 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:24 pm

So, on G+, there has been some debate back and forth on whether or not Jadis could have turned Aslan to stone if her wand had not been broken (First Battle of Beruna). This was a question for the film perspective.
Now, Jadis' wand does not have to touch you to turn you to stone so if she had still had it when he flies through the air towards her, she could have attempted using it.

There are a few people who are saying that Jadis could turn anyone/thing she wanted into stone with her wand. However, there are signs of her being "afraid" of Aslan even when she has it. So, that being said, most likely, unless Aslan would submit himself to her like he did at the Stone Table, he wouldn't be affected by the wand. I always would imagine Aslan to have too great of power for her to have an effect on him. Right??

What is your opinion on this? :?:
always narnian
Site Admin

Re: Jadis vs. Aslan

Post by always narnian » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Well I'm pretty positive in the LWW book that Edmund suggests the same thing, and the Beavers laugh at the suggestion. I'll have to find the part.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Yeah, something like that. They say she couldn't stand before Him without her knees knocking.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
daughterofaslan
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by daughterofaslan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Yeah
Set made by Hobbit. Thank you!
Daughter of Aslan (Also known as Dazzle)
Sister of Chess and Pev
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Even though Jadis wouldn't ever admit it, Aslan is above her in every way. The Beavers did dismiss the idea that she could turn Aslan to stone. As Jaygee mentioned, she had a rightful fear of Aslan; and as Sochi mentioned, Aslan would only be subjected to that if he specifically allowed it. I'm reminded of the times people tried to kill Jesus before Calvary, such as when they wanted to shove Him off a cliff or when they wanted to stone Him. He quietly walked out of each one because it was not yet the time to commit Himself to die.
Plus, so far as the thought of Jadis still having the wand when Aslan ends the battle, I think she'd be even more frightened than ever, considering that she killed him just the night before only to have him show up very much alive again. ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
daughterofaslan
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by daughterofaslan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Yeah, if I were her, I would be scared, and freaked out. :)
Set made by Hobbit. Thank you!
Daughter of Aslan (Also known as Dazzle)
Sister of Chess and Pev
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Interesting question. From a purely physical point of view, since Aslan's breath could reverse Jadis' spell, I wonder if that would prevent it from working on him (or if it would work but then he could simply turn himself back once he was stone). From a more spiritual point of view I think the beavers had it right when they dismissed any possibility of her getting near him unless he allowed it. The only reason she succeeded in killing him at all on the stone table was because he submitted himself to her. His sacrifice did, however show that he did have a physically mortal body so in theory his mortal body may have been able to be turned to stone. But as he didn't stay dead when she killed him he would unlikely have stayed as stone.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:07 am

This is interesting, people were probably wondering about it because of the stipulation Aslan puts on Jadis that she must lay aside her wand before she comes to speak to him about Edmund's treachery. However, I think that the stipulation was there to protect Aslan's followers, as I must agree with the previous posts that Jadis could not have turned Aslan to stone.

*If Aslan could turn the statues back to living creatures simply by breathing on them, it would be pretty hard to turn him to stone.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
EveningStar
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by EveningStar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am

This may strike you as obscure, yet Isaiah appeared before God and was petrified that as a ritually unclean man he would die from the exposure to God's glory.

Ritual purity does not exactly correspond to moral purity--you can be nice and be impure from having touched a dead body, for instance.

Yet when a seraphim took a hot coal and touched it to his lips, rather than the uncleanliness being transferred to the coal, as you would expect to happen in this cosmic game of "Tag", the purity of the coal entered Isaiah and he became pure.

One and only one other time do we see this in the scriptures, and that's when Christ touched someone who was a leper or dead and they lived again. Their impurity did not transfer to him but the other way around.

Acting upon the presumption that Aslan is Jesus (and I do), the impurity of the spell from the wand could not transfer to Aslan, but rather Aslan's purity to it.

And besides, if you remember, Edmund risked his life to cut the wand with his sword which made the final contest a moot point.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 am

That’s a good thought, Star. I’ll have to think more on that.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”