Literary Allusions to Narnia

Characters, creatures and other general discussion

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Benisse
Site Admin

Literary Allusions to Narnia

Post by Benisse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:56 am

The Chronicles are referenced numerous times in other works of fiction. Let's collect as many allusions as we can in this thread.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
jesusgirl4ever

Re: Literary Allusions to Narnia

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Draven's Defiance by Paul McCusker mentions Narnia twice. The narrator, Scott, is asked to go on what he knows would be an adventure. He said, "[It would be like] asking Peter, Lucy, Edmund, and Susan not to go to Narnia." Later, Scott hopes "that coming to Marus is the same as going to Narnia, where days, months, and years might pass while only seconds passed in your own world."
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Jaygee,
So cool!

By the way I seem to recall in Inkheart something about a faun from Narnia wandering around the library at the aunties estate, but without Cornelia Funke's book in front of me, I can't remember the details. Lifeline, anyone?
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 am

Bryan Davis' Dragon's in Our Midst series has one of the main characters, Bonnie, being a Narnia fan. In book three she wears a "Not a tame lion" shirt.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but every time I see the book/movie title Bridge to Terebithia, I read Terebinthia instead.

Doctor Who did a Christmas special a few years ago that had a number of nods to Narnia.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am

...Wait...It's not Terebinthia? Never realized that....
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:20 pm

@ Hermit: I do the same thing whenever I see the title. :lol: I guess a lot of Narnia readers do. :?

Sooo, I had been meaning to read Bridge to Terebithia, so I finally did and I just finished it. ... SAD. Argh. Anyway, while I was reading through it, I found a few things directly related to Narnia.

"I know" -- she was getting excited -- "it could be a magic country like Narnia..."
And she loaned Jess all her books about Narnia (awesome :P ). Aslan was mentioned at some point, too.
Thank you, Hobbit!
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 am

I just finished reading Shingaling by R.J. Palacio. In one chapter two characters who had known each other for years suddenly discover they share a deep connection and it is described as a Narnia-like experience, as if they have opened a wardrobe door and unexpectedly both found themselves in Narnia. In another chapter about happy endings, the main character talks about how Edmund (Pevensie) was able to redeem himself.
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:34 pm

I just came across a reference to Prince Caspian in Brian Selznick's 1/2 storyboard story, 1/2 novel, The Marvels.
p. 393:
"...the two of them would sneak off to some empty room at school, light a candle, and read out lout to each other from one of Blink's books. They'd quickly get caught up in the adventures of characters with names like Pip and Mowgli and Prince Caspian."

[Note: I don't think I would recommend this book overall though. I felt let-down/disappointed by the plot.]

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”