7%
The Last Battle
15%

Total votes: 27
Ajnos
Site Admin

Favourite Narnia Book (poll)

Post by Ajnos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 am

To commemorate the new forum and the fact that we have polls again, I thought I'd start a poll on which is your favourite of the Chronicles. Vote for your favourite and then explain in a post why you like it best.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Re: Favourite Narnia Book (poll)

Post by The Happy Islander » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Apparently I'm the first vote. Which is funny, considering how much I'm not really into having favorites. I wouldn't necessarily call one of the Chronicles my favorites, but "Prince Caspian" seems to be the one that I am currently identifying with the most. I love Lucy's faith, and Edmund's support of her.
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:51 pm

HHB is my official favourite, which is funny considering it was my second-least-favourite when I started (MN is still my least favourite). But after a couple years, I really realized that there was more to HHB (and Narnia overall) than just the entertaining adventures. I was reading through the series again when I realized just how much of Aslan there is in that book. In HHB and VDT, I found that he was more like how we often (don't) see God and His doings in our world. That is to say, that He's there all the time and that He's constantly working in our lives and in the world, but we don't often see it right away. Aslan's "I am the Lion" speech just suddenly opened my eyes to that even though I'd been seeing that connection the whole time. That one time through HHB (and VDT) though, I pretty much felt his presence throughout the entire book even though he was mostly in the background.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 am

HHB is definitely my favorite. It probably has something to do with the fact that it has horses in it. It's funny, because HHB wasn't a book I even liked at all at first. But now it's my favorite. I must confess I liked seeing the attitude Lune and Edmund had towards Rabadash ("Even traitors may mend. I have known one that did.") One of mercy and cordialness and chivalry.
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, for me it was a little hard to choose because both LWW and HB are my favorites, but Ariel and Tenny had the same reasons for liking it that I did, so I decided to go with LWW.
I think that part of the reason that it is my favorite is because that is the first Narnia book that my dad read to me from his childhood copy of the Chronicles. I was enthralled. I had read the whole series by the time the movie came out. (@Ajjie I actually got to see LWW in theaters in Zambia!) I really related to the characters and became involved in their personal struggles. That's why I often tell people to read LWW first because I think the Pevensies are easier for most people to identify with that Digory and Polly if you read MN first. Honestly, I don't think I would have continued the series if I had read MN first. Another reason why I enjoy LWW so much is because of the parallels between Aslan and Jesus, and all that which you already know about. ;)
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 pm

This is such a difficult question! How can one possibly choose a favourite book?

Well even as difficult as it was I decided that I liked LWW the best of all of them. First off it was the first Chronicles I've ever read. I can remember laying on the couch enveloped in a world I had never known, captivated and hoping I could go on adventures like that. Second, I love the powerful message, (but don't they each have a powerful message?), well anyways I like how Lewis was able to show how how Aslan specifically died for one person, just as Jesus did not die for all of us, but for each of us. The correlation and supposal are wonderful. It's a beautiful story. Period.

(Engee I agree, LWW is a good place to start.)
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am

Although in reality it is a three way tie for me between Magician's Nephew, Lion Witch Wardrobe, and Last Battle, I cast my vote for MN. Why? I really love the change and growth in Digory's character, I love the tears of empathy Aslan sheds for Digory's mother, and the connections with other characters and elements in the Chronicles like the lamp post, the Wardrobe, and Jadis. The creation story is unforgettable, as are the themes of honesty and honor and heartache.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
SYorickson
Knight

Post by SYorickson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

I cast my vote for The Silver Chair because I enjoy the suspense as the plot progresses (its still a book I just can't put down once I get halfway through it). Also, Puddleglum in one of my favorite characters, because he reminds me that God can use unlikely people to do his will. Also, "the signs" remind me about the need to stay vigilant in heeding God's word.

That said, it was a very hard choice! Once in an interview, Douglas Gresham said that whichever Narnia book he is reading is his favorite at the time, and I can relate. I do find myself changing my mind when I am reading one of the other books.
always narnian
Site Admin

Post by always narnian » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 am

I always end up like "I don't know I like this one, and this one, and this one! O, but I really love this one! I LOVE ALL OF THEM!" Haha, but I think I'd have to chose the Silver Chair. Puddleglum is just too good of a character, and I love the themes Lewis weaved into it such as "Remembering the Signs" and such! "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up." Deuteronomy 6:7 I also like Rilian!

My other favorites are: The Last Battle, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and Prince Caspian
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:05 am

I was trying to decide between The Horse and His Boy or the Silver Chair. I love both of them. But I decided to go with the Horse and His Boy. :D I love it because of Hwin begging Aravis not to destroy herself.

And- yeah, what Ariel said mostly. :D
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:

Return to “General Narnian Discussions”