In The Refiner’s Fire

Fan Fiction inspired by The Chronicles

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose, Lil

Lil
Site Admin

In The Refiner’s Fire

Post by Lil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:11 am

In The Refiner’s Fire

Summary: When an evil wizard enchants and captures Susan on the eve of her sister's birhtday, who will suffer and what sacrifices will be made? Will Queen Susan be found or will she be bound a swan forever?

The Chronicles of Narnia" are the property of the estate of C.S. Lewis, Walden Media, Walt Disney Pictures, et cetera. No profit is or shall be made from this fan work. The author also wishes to make known that she does not endorse or encourage the misuse of any alcoholic beverage.

The Pevensies, rulers of Narnia, were resting and reclining in a small family room after a particularly grand ball. Extremely exhausted from the noise, the dancing, the day's competitions and the long week of celebrating, the four monarchs had retired early from the merriment.

The week-long celebration had been in honor of Lucy's upcoming birthday. There had been hunts and tournaments of all sorts. Royalty from many nations had been invited. Princes and nobles by the score had shown up in honor of Queen Lucy's birthday and to try their hand against the kings in the various tournaments. With no problems in Narnia, the siblings had planed to take another tour of their country, a sort of vacation after the festivities were ended.

Gentle ocean breezes blew through the room, cooling and refreshing the tired monarchs. Through the open door the music from the ball could still be heard faintly. Knowing the Narnians love of celebrating, feasting, and wine, they knew the merriment would probably go on all night and into the early morning hours.

"Wasn't that wonderful?" Lucy sighed contentedly.

"I agree Lu. Ed's dancing was the best entertainment I've seen in a long time," Susan laughed.

"Hey! That last lady was stomping on my feet," Edmund grumbled. "Besides, it was not half so amusing as Peter dancing with that duchess. It's not our fault he never learned to dance," he finished with a smirk.

Despite the gaiety of the night's celebration and the excitement of that night's ball, Peter was miserable. He had felt sick all day and a headache from a nasty knock in the morning's tournament hadn't helped any. Of course, he hadn't had the heart to tell Lucy. Besides, once his secret was out they would force him to stay in bed. He now regretted not having spent the day resting, enduring the teasing and mothering, as the excited chatter of his two sisters' conversation made his headache agonizing. Looking around the room, Peter spotted one of their faithful servants
standing in the doorway waiting to be noticed.

"Come in, Dalia."

"Your Majesties," she said, curtsying while balancing a tray with four goblets of steaming liquid. "I've brought you some warm milk. It will you to help relax. The other servants mentioned that Your Majesties had retired early and might be feeling weary and in need of refreshment," the young girl finished in her strong Galman accent.

"Ah, thank you," Peter sighed, picking up a goblet of warm milk. "To many years of peaceful rule, and to Lucy!"

"To Lucy!" they cheered, raising the goblets then each took a sip.

"Dalia, wait," Susan called as the girl made her way toward the door.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Dalia asked, her soft voice shaking momentarily with nervousness.

Motioning the girl back to her side, Susan inquired, "There's something unusual about this milk. Are you sure this milk is fresh? The milk from kitchens is never like this."

"Yes, Your Majesty, I'm sure it's still quite fresh," Dalia replied, smiling with apparent relived confidence.

"What are you talking about, Su? Are you sure the wine hasn't gotten to you?" Lucy asked jokingly as Susan dismissed Dalia with a wave of her hand.

"Here Edmund, have a taste of this," Susan said, handing the nearly finished goblet of milk to her brother.

He took a sip and frowned. His eyes furrowed deeper as he consumed several more sips, then the rest of the contents.

"You're right, Su, it is different," Edmund agreed, setting the now empty chalice on the table before them as he licked his lips. "It's delicious," he said as he suddenly collapsed lifeless in his chair, his head lolling to the side.

Peter sat up, suddenly fully awake, fear written across his face as he silently prayed to Aslan that this breath would not be his brother's last.

"Edmund!" Susan screamed and Lucy darted over to the dark-haired king's side. As she leaned worriedly over him, he placed a small kiss on the tip of her nose.

"Edmund Pevensie! You sly trickster!" Lucy yelled in relieved frustration, beating her laughing brother with a pillow as the castle guard headed by General Oreius, rushed in.

"My apologies General Oreius, King Edmund was merely playing a trick upon us. We are all well," Peter said sleepily to his general, dismissing them. Turning to his siblings he said "Well I don't know about you three, but I'm ready for my bed.

"I agree," said Susan as a yawn escaped her lips. "Come on, Ed."

Pushing himself up, Edmund followed his siblings to their quarters, and as his oldest sister turned to disappear into her room, Edmund nearly half asleep himself, voiced a heart-felt apology.

"Fair Sister, I must confess my regret is deep over the fear I caused you and our dear brother and sister this night. I see now it was a very childish and not the caliber of my stature or age."

"Oh Ed, I forgive you. Where would we be with you not to make life interesting and fun?" Susan said as she hugged him.

Still troubled, Edmund walked to his quarters, collapsing fully clothed into his spacious bed.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Re: In The Refiner’s Fire

Post by gypsevedius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 am

Lil, I really love this story! :) Thanks for posting it! :D
I like the way you made Edmund, jokester and all.
And Peter, still protecting his siblings. ^.^
And Susan, gentle, forgiving, and protective. ^.^
And Lucy sweet as ever. :D
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm

*Hugs!* Thanks for your complement and for leaving a comment. *hug* *hugs!*

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Gah, finally got around to reading this!

Loved the sibling interaction. You actually had me there when Edmund collapsed. I'd say that I'm perfectly and totally relieved by the fact that it was a trick, though from the way he went to bed, I can't say I'm completely and totally convinced that all was well with that milk....
I was a bit confused by the pov changes, but besides that, I find no fault! Please write more. :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:09 am

:D I'm so glad you liked it Ariel! About the milk? *rubs hands* Muhahaha! You will have to see.

Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:09 am

Chapter 2: Tragedy and a Letter

Edmund! Edmund! Wake up, please! Hurry get up! Ed, come on," Lucy shouted as she jumped on Edmund's bed.

"Lucy, please stop. Leave me alone. My head," an indistinct lump under the covers groaned, putting his pillow over his head in an attempt to block out the bright rays of sunlight, noise, and the enthusiasm of his sister that filled the room.

"Oh Ed, please get up. I can't find Susan," Lucy said, in a more merciful tone.

"What?!" he exclaimed sitting bolt upright, wincing as the room spun.

"I woke up this morning and went into her room, she wasn't there. I searched all of her favorite places. She's nowhere to be found."

"Alright Lu, just give me moment to put some proper clothes on.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find her," Edmund said, half-asleep as he slid out of his bed in his night clothes.

He stood, reeling some and walked over to his wardrobe. As he reached it, a sudden dizziness engulfed him and he collapsed. His head would have would have hit the floor had not his valet caught him.

"Ed!"

"I'm alright, Lu. I just got up too quickly," The dark-haired king replied as he tried to regain his balance.

"Why don't you send the day resting, Ed?" Lucy queried concerned about the state of her brother, in tone that more order than question.

"No, I'm fine." Her brother responded, regaining his balance but still reeling some.

"What going on?" Peter asked groggily. He stood in the doorway in his nightclothes. His hair stood out in all directions as if he had just woken up. This was, of course, because he had. Lucy's shouts and Edmund's exclamations had roused him and by the looks on his siblings' faces he could tell something had happened. "What's wrong, Lu?"

"I can't find Susan," Lucy said in a voice that betrayed the depth of her worry.

"Alright, Lu. Let's go check her room, maybe she went for a ride and now she s back. I'm sure she wouldn't go far with out leaving a note," Peter mumbled groggily.

"I asked the grooms and most everyone. No one has seen her all morning."

"Let's just check anyway, perhaps she left before they were awake."

Upon entering they found the window was open and a morning breeze was blowing in, but there was no Susan.

"Your Majesties, have you seen her grace, The Gentle?" a frazzled

Dryad asked, bowing.

"You mean she hasn't been seen has seen since last night?" Peter asked frantically, a look of incredulousness on his face.

"I'm sorry, King Peter," she said, remorse lacing her voice as she wrung her hands in nervousness.

"She's not here, Peter! I've looked almost everywhere," Lucy exclaimed, on the verge of panic as they searched for clues as to Susan's disappearance.

"Marius, double the guard on the castle! I want anyone sneaking in or out caught and brought to me," Peter shouted to one of the guards.

"Hey! What's this?" Edmund exclaimed upon finding a small letter with the imprint of Susan's royal seal, the swan, on it. Oddly enough, underneath the seal were two swan feathers. They were pointing north and towering above the seal like mountains. It had been carefully hidden under a stack of personal papers so that only the siblings would find it. At their brother's shout Lucy and Peter hurried over to see what he had found.

Puzzled, Edmund lifted the seal and read started reading.

"To my royal brothers and sister, Peter, Edmund, and Lucy.

My dear siblings, how it pains me to tell I will not see you for a long time. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. There's so much to tell you all and yet so little time.

"To Lucy,

My dear precious little sister, always remember I love you. Please try to keep Peter and Ed civil and a lid on your own temper as I'm sure it will flare up upon hearing this letter. Be a help to them.

"To Edmund,

I'm telling you this because you have a love for justice. There was something different in that milk, (as you know) whether Dalia put it in or not. I can feel it changing me. Already my voice is almost gone. I'm thinking Dalia slipped something into my glass, but I still can't believe she would, after all we've done for her. Dear Brother, please do be careful as I'm not sure what effect it will have on you.

"To Peter:

Don't tear Narnia apart looking for me. Some of the army needs to stay at Cair Paravel, and do try to be good to Dalia; she's just a confused young girl."

Here some the writing became almost unlegible as if Susan had suddenly lost the ability to write.

"Lovingly,

Your Royal Sister

Susan."

Agast, Edmund raised horror-stuck eyes to look at his brother and sister.

"Where is that girl?! Guards! Fetch the kitchen maid, Dalia!" Peter roared in anger.

gypsevedius
Knight
Location: To be honest...what if you tickled a unicorn's face?

Post by gypsevedius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:16 am

Oooh! I like it! Very mysterious!
If you see a typo in this message, let me know. *facepalm*
^.^ *is such a suspicious looking unicavvey*
Thanks for the sig, Hobbit! (:
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Goodness gracious! Dalia is going to be terrified! What's going to happen next?!!!!
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 pm

:o WHAT'LL HAPPEN NEXT!!!!!!!!???????? I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 am

Here is the next chapter! Thanks for the wait everyone!
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3633998/3/ ... ner-s-Fire

Return to “Narnian Fan Fiction”