Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose, Lil

Tenethia
Site Admin

How to Ride an Owl

Post by Tenethia » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

*shares another old fanfic of hers*

How to Ride an Owl:
By Jill Pole

Riding an owl is more difficult than one might think. Different than popular belief, owl riding differs greatly from horseback riding. Not only is it harder, it is more uncomfortable and more dangerous.

The body of an owl is short and fat, which would make it very easy to grip, if it wasn’t for the feathers. The smooth, soft feathers of the owl make sitting on and gripping the owl quite difficult, although it does make the ride much more comfortable. Not only do the feathers make grasping difficult, but there isn’t anything to hang onto the owl.
The ride itself is very difficult, because although the sky has very few obstacles, it is not at all a smooth flight. The takeoff is a plunge downward until the owl slowly begins to work back up. That isn’t at all easy, because it is hard to hang on to the slick beast in the first place. The ride is a rocking motion as the great bird flaps its wings, and then it turns into a gliding motion.
Riding an owl is dangerous, because the ride is so rough. As you get higher, it becomes more and more dangerous, because it is so very hard to grasp the body and you really have to squeeze to avoid coming off.

Another reason riding an owl is dangerous is because the owl is nocturnal. It only flies at night, and therefore it’s very scary because you can’t see where you are actually going. And for all you know, the owl could be kidnapping you, and you’d never be able to find your way back home because you can’t see. The owl also eats at night, and it preys on the flying animal, the bat. Therefore, it will dart and drop and droop underneath you so it can have its dinner.

There is, however, a good side to flying on an owl. Owls are very comfortable to ride once you have the hang of it. Because there are really no obstacles, it’s a very fast ride. It’s also very nice because you can feel the wind in your hair.

When sitting on an owl, balance is what truly matters. Always sit straight up, leaning forward or backward can cause you to slip right off, and then you now it’s a long way back to the ground. Put your knees under the wings of the owl and squeeze like everything. Rest your hands on the owl’s neck (If it has one) and do not put pressure on them. Feel free to talk to the owl. It might even talk back.

Riding an owl is a wonderful way of travel once you can balance. It is speedy, comfortable, and fun. At one time in everyone’s life, everyone needs to ride an owl.
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: How to Ride an Owl

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Interesting concept, though the beta side of me thinks that some of the thoughts weren't as organized as they could be. :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:47 pm

*nods* any suggestions
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Good job, Tenethia, this was fun to read.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Trisha
Knight

Post by Trisha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 am

I think it would make sense to give the owl his dinner before getting on so as to avoid them having to make dangerous plunges and swoops to catch a bat. At least it's not so scary when a horse stops mid-ride to enjoy a snack, as happened when I first learned to ride one, except it might be annoying if you were in a real hurry to get somewhere, and a talking horse might come back with some angry or flippant reply if you told him to hurry up! In both cases, I'd feel safer knowing my mount is happy and contented. As a way of saying thank you for the ride, I'd offer a massage; all sorts of animals seem to enjoy that!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 am

I specially noticed that you mentioned how hard it was to hang on to owls in two or three different places. Try putting the reasons why together and moving the stuff between those instances around. It'll make it more organized like an essay.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:48 am

@Ariel - I haven't had the chance to work on this yet but I /do/ appreciate you pointing that out.
@Hermit - I'm glad you enjoyed it :) thank you
@Trisha - hee. Those are some thoughts. I ride (or have ridden) and I definitely understand about the horse's eating. And I agree about the message? Would I be ok to use some of those thoughts in a future edit?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Tenethia wrote:At one time in everyone’s life, everyone needs to ride an owl.
I'd love to! Does anybody have access to one that would let me ride it? :P

I loved it, Tenny! I can't believe I didn't find this earlier.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 am

I actually rather enjoy the mis-organised character of it, because I imagine Jill herself might write it that way!
I've read this one before, and have forgotten about it - thanks for reminding me! :D

Return to “Narnian Fan Fiction”