Turkish Delight

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Turkish Delight

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 am

This is a thread that was a thing when I first came on here and I think it's time to revive it.

Have you ever had Turkish Delight? Have you made it? How did that go? Would you sell your family for it?

~~~~~

Yes, I made Turkish Delight in highschool. It was awful. Just the worse. I burnt the sugar and melted a spoon in it. Don't trust a 15 year old with candy unsupervised.

And yes, I've had proper Turkish delight. I got a bag of it from a little sweets shop in Lacok England (AKA Godric's Hollow) and it was amazing. You know how some people will properly make Turkish delight and say it's a let down? Well, they haven't had good British sweet shop delight. It's good. Real good. Throw in some dark magic and a chip on my shoulder and yeah, I'd sell out my youngest brother.

The lemon is better than rose. Rose is good, but lemon is better.

I still have some in my room from Harrod's. It's good, but not as good as that tiny little shop.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Turkish Delight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 am

I've had Turkish Delight...twice? Three times? I really liked it all three times. The third time it was actually imported from Turkey, so the stuff itself was better (of course) even though I wasn't as keen on the flavor options as I was the first two times. I mean, seriously, coconut and walnut?? Come on...where's my lemon and rose water? I guess Koreans just aren't into the original flavors. (I agree with you, Tooky, that the lemon is better.)
I've not tried making it. I've heard a lot of horror stories about how badly it turned out when others made it.
I would not sell my family for it. It was good, of course; but I hope I'm not that corruptible. :lol:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 am

Never made it (but would like to try). Had it several times (lemon is definitely more to my liking than rose, but I've tried several other flavours and liked them). Wouldn't sell out my family for it, but that's also keeping in mind that Turkish Delight isn't my kryptonite. ;)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 pm

We made it once, I think my mom insisted on halving the sugar to make it healthier, it was okay and fun. And apparently they also reduced sugar in the Turkish Delight when Skandar Keynes had to eat it on the set so he wouldn't have too much sugar.
We bought a box of Turkish Delight from Walmart years ago that wasn't actually called Turkish Delight but really was, that was better.
I would not sell my family for Turkish Delight. But the Pevensies eventually forgave Edmund anyway.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:34 am

I read a post a while ago pointing out how sugar was rationed in WWII and that likely one of the reasons Edmund jumped at eating Turkish Delight was because he hadn't had sugar in a really long time. Like if I was banned from eating chocolate for a year or two and someone offered me a bar (albeit at the cost of my family).

Turkish Delight is one of my favourite go-to treats, when I can get it...I wouldn't dream of trying to make it myself though.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Turkish delight is quite easy to find for sale in South Africa. There is more of it around at Christmas time, but you can get it other times of the year. It's typically coated in powdered sugar; sometimes in chocolate. Rose is the most common flavour, followed by lemon, but you can find a range of others strange combinations. You get better and worse sorts.

As a kid I disliked it, but it's always been one of my mom's favourites. When I was in England, they always had some available at the Kilns and I felt like I *had* to try some. That's when I discovered that while I don't like rose that much, I quite like lemon. I can tolerate rose if it's chocolate coated. I wouldn't sell my family for it, but it is quite enjoyable.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:46 am

I got to sample Turkish Delight for the first time in 2012 in Turkey... Here is a box I got near Pamukkale with one of the candies cut open so you can see what it is like inside under the dusting of confectioners' sugar.

Oh my there are so many varieties! different nuts, different flavorings, different colors and fruits...
My favorite was the almond ones though.

The closest I've come to finding something like it in the States is the Aplets and Cotlets confection; they are similar in texture, but the ones in Turkey had so much variety, it's hard to definitively describe Turkish Delight.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 am

I still haven't had it! I had sorta given up on being interested after reading a number of disappointed American reviews but then a dear British friend send me some truly marvelous tisane which is rose-lemon flavored, and said later he thought of that particular blend as "liquid Turkish delight", and suddenly my interest was strongly piqued again. :p
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I went to a European shop and found Turkish Delight from Turkey. It was rose flavored with artificial rose flavoring; I'm not sure what roses taste like but the taste was not too strange to enjoy the candy. Being as the pieces were so small, when I got home I ate 5 of them. I then realized that real Turkish Delight has an extreme amount of sugar as the five pieces had 375 kCal. I cannot believe that Edmund managed to eat a whole box of them at once, but then again, his were enchanted.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:41 am

Turkish Delight does have quite a lot of sugar, haha. There's a reason why Skandar Keynes was limited in the amount he could eat at a time!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”