Châtelaine of Cair Paravel

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

SYorickson
Knight

Châtelaine of Cair Paravel

Post by SYorickson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I've been reading LWW, and I noticed that, in his posting about Mr. Tumnus's arrest, Maugrim calls Jadis the "Châtelaine of Cair Paravel." I had to look Châtelaine up in a dictionary. A Châtelaine is a rich, female property owner.

Do you think Cair Paravel was really under her control? Could she have resided there if she wanted?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Châtelaine of Cair Paravel

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

I would imagine so, though I don't think she would have been keen on living there since it's the eastern-most point of Narnia (not counting the Lone Islands), thus putting her that much closer to Aslan.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
SYorickson
Knight

Post by SYorickson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:23 am

That's a good thought Ariel! I think that was also why Telmerines had a fear of Cair Paravel.
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

I always had this idea that Cair Paravel was protected from Jadis. If she had been able to conqueror it, why hadn't she destroyed it and/or the four thrones to keep the prophecy from coming true? I think there had to be some sort of protection. Or maybe Aslan's presence was so felt in Cair Paravel, that the Witch wouldn't dare enter. Just ideas. :)
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Jadis, as we know, liked to appear as more than she was. We can assume that she was sort that liked pomp and such fancyness... as a proud person will tell you about their status and accomplishments, while say someone like the Ranger Strider in Lord of the Rings, most people did not know they had a heir to the throne in their midst.

I expect that she added it on for show, but really had no interest in it (as long as the thrones stayed unfilled.)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
SYorickson
Knight

Post by SYorickson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 am

I see what you mean about Cair Paravel being protected, Narnia girl. In The Magician's Nephew, I remember Jadis being unable to cope with hearing Aslan's voice, and being unable to bear his presence. It could be that, because of the strong association with Aslan, the castle and the throne were protected from her.

Lil, I really liked your comparison with The Lord of the Rings. I agree that Jadis does pretend to be more than she is, and since she has to lie about being a daughter of Eve to validate her rule, has no real right to the throne. In both The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia, there's a theme of pretenders, people ruling who have no right to rule. I've never thought about it before, but you are also right about a theme of rightful leaders cloaked in a humble appearance. Strider is a great example. There's also Gandalf (a powerful wizard with the appearance of an elderly human), Thorin (a king who has lost his kingdom), Peter (Aslan's chosen king who enters Narnia as an ordinary boy), Shasta/Cor (a prince who is a runaway slave), Caspian (a king hiding out in the woods). I think it was Lewis and Tolkien's way of reminding us to find hope beyond appearances of what's ordinary.
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:10 am

@Yorik: That's a biblical pattern too, God using ordinary, humble people to work with. For instance--David, a shepherd boy, taking on Goliath. Esther, a normal girl chosen as queen and is able to save her people. Moses, who's slow of speech and had had to flee Egypt, confronting Pharaoh and leading the Israelites out of slavery. And the ultimate example: Christ, born in a manger, spends His life teaching and serving, yet is The King.

And then there's the proud and powerful (Goliath, etc.) who fall because they have turned away from God. It doesn't matter how strong or how powerful or how great they are, their greatness is hollow because they have separated themselves from God.

*is reminded of when Samuel looks on Eliab and thinks that this must be the man whom God has chosen to follow Saul as king*:

"But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7, KJV)
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
SYorickson
Knight

Post by SYorickson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:05 am

That's for certain, Islie! I hadn't thought about the extent of the connection to the Bible, and it's a really good reminder. It's so easy for any of us to believe we are too insignificant to the human eye to belong to God. But those of us who have trusted in Jesus Christ for our salvation are all kings and queens, appearing in poor garments for the time being.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:35 am

Great thoughts, all!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Truly said :) His strength in our weakness is part the story he is telling all the time through all time and history. Even in Lewis and Tolkien's lives and then into their stories.

Now on the topic of Jadis and Cair, I do agree with the notion that it was somehow protected from her. She goes to such lengths to prevent the prophecy that I am certain she would have destroyed the thrones if she could.

Can you just imagine what it would have been like inside Cair during the witch's winter? If it would have been possible to be in there... cold. still. a breath of visible air. sunlight streaming through the ice coated windows. strangely peaceful. waiting.

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”