Succession?

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jesusgirl4ever

Succession?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

We all know that there is no canonical evidence as to what happened to Narnia after the Four left, yet according to Lewis's own timeline, they left in 1015, and the Telmarines didn't invade until 1998.

According to the books, the Pevensies didn't marry, and therefore left no heirs. I've read theories of Corin or Peridan taking over. The only thing we know for certain is that there was a queen named Swanwhite II.

Anyone have any ideas?
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Succession?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Aside from a series of fic ideas that may or may not ever be written by yours truly? :P
I think it's likely the Four would have at least chosen a regent in the event of catastrophe. Since he's the only lord named, Peridan is a possibility, though not necessarily a probability. If they didn't choose a regent though, I imagine the council would have set one up at the very least as a temporary measure.
I personally don't like the idea of Corin being anything other than a (mostly) carefree, untamed prince and boxing champion. And while, yes, Archenlanders are blood descendents of Frank and Helen, I don't think they'd really use that as a reason to ascend to the Narnian throne any more than the Calormenes would (at least not in the time of Lune and Cor). By this time in history, Narnia and Archenland are their own, separate nations. And the Narnians wouldn't necessarily look to Archenland for a king since, as Peridan's presence proves, there are again men in Narnia.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:47 am

That's true about Narnia having men and not looking to Archenland. I agree with you about Corin; I'd just read that somewhere. I think he would not make a good king. He seems a bit too... irresponsible.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Corin would have calmed down some as he matured and he would still have responsibilities as a prince, so in theory, he probably would have been responsible enough for the job, but I don't think he'd do swimmingly under pressure. He was born to be impetuous and free as a bird. :)
knight and scribe
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 pm

And, of course, he didn't want to be a king!
Hurrah! Hurrah! I shan't have to be king. I'll always be a prince. It's princes that have all the fun.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Indeed, that is all-important. :P Though if he didn't have a choice (as he didn't before Cor returned), then he'd have to be one whether he wanted it or not. :)
knight and scribe
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 am

Also, in favor of Corin being a conceivable possibility, the Four meant a lot to him. Especially Queen Susan, as seen in her statements to Shasta-who-she-thought-was-Corin about them being such good friends since his mother died, and in his willingness to pick fights with Calormens when they made bad jokes about her. I could see him being willing to try being responsible as a favor to his lost friend.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Point, Lily (and well-worded! :) ).
knight and scribe
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:06 pm

@Lily: That's true.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Corin would be a good king for Narnia in that enemies would be afraid to attack Narnia, but I think he probably wouldn't handle all the paperwork.

There could also be human immigrants who came into Narnia after they found out that the human-killing-Jadis was dead.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”