Succession?

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jesusgirl4ever

Re: Succession?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Corin would be a good king for Narnia in that enemies would be afraid to attack Narnia, but I think he probably wouldn't handle all the paperwork.
:lol: Lol, Hermit.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm

For some reason I always though there was a council also Tumnus was appointed regent (who knows maybe just stayed their good friend)

"And one year it fell out that Tumnus (who was a middle-aged
Faun by now and beginning to be stout) came down river and brought them news that the
White Stag had once more appeared in his parts - the White Stag who would give you
wishes if you caught him."

But I'm not sure whatever happened after that, I'm sure the animals tried to govern themselves, but being only Narnians and not a son of adam fell into disorder. Or maybe they had a succesion of lesser kings or lords afterwards... maybe they prospered for a bit (though one sometimes get caught in what was and "remember the good ol' days" ) maybe men grew wicked and took the place of the old kings by force and so it destablized. Perhaps the Narnians decided they could rule themselves or would rather rule themselves.

All I could think of was what Aslan says "And in Telmar their descendants lived and became a fierce and proud people; and after many generations there was a famine in Telmar and they invaded Narnia, which
was then in some disorder (but that also would be a long story), and conquered it and
ruled it. Do you mark all this well, King Caspian?"
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Thu May 08, 2014 10:09 am

Aside from the son-of-Adam rule, I really do like the idea of a kind of Council of the Species as an interim option. If you have the commonsense of a Raven, the memory of a Badger, the foresight of a Centaur, and insert other races with planning-and-governing useful skills to make plans and take votes, then assuming that the rest of Narnia would be willing to accept their rulings you might be able to get something like a good government, yes? Besides, with the timeskip effects of having some of the most adamant members of the resistance against the White Witch getting un-stoned at the beginning of the Pevensies' reign, you basically have multiple Captain Ameri--er, Narnias running around. ;)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu May 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I could see that happening. Perhaps such a set-up could even lead to something like democracy if it's around for long enough -- something I'm sure the Calormenes would consider scandalous! :)
Also... love your "Captain America" comment. :lol:
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 am

Why, thank you. ^_^
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:32 am

jesusgirl4ever wrote:
Corin would be a good king for Narnia in that enemies would be afraid to attack Narnia, but I think he probably wouldn't handle all the paperwork.
:lol: Lol, Hermit.
That's why there are Royal Advisors, yeah? :)
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:24 pm

(On Narniamuck, At least from my understanding, Peridan is I believe commander of the armies under High King Peter, generally in charge of the goings on around and in Cair Paravel. It has also been mentioned that that their is a counsel.)

As the others have said I think it is likely for Narnia to have been ruled by a council, who knows? Maybe he was pressured to become king. Not every council agrees 100% all the time. And what happens when the members are old and new ones take their place? I can seen there being good Narnians with blinds spots they didn't realize until later. They might not always be ones with good intentions at heart. (In Lord of the Rings, the steward of the king starts rulling and we have a succession of stewards, until last Aragorn, descendant of the Kings of Old takes back the throne.)

I do think that it is possible as is human nature to get comfortable and get lazy. The watch is not kept as carefully. Men turn to be out for their own interests. Men turn evil. "All that is nessesary for the triumph of evil is that good men (or Narnians) do nothing.

Who knows exactly what went on? But this is why I think is is excellent material for fanfics :)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 pm

On the topic of councils, I find it highly likely that the Pevensies had a number of advisers, especially when they were younger and just beginning to rule.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 am

Who knows exactly what went on? But this is why I think is is excellent material for fanfics :)
If ever I get the time and inspiration, I do want to explore post-Pevensie Narnia and the Dark Ages. :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:49 pm

HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:Corin would be a good king for Narnia in that enemies would be afraid to attack Narnia, but I think he probably wouldn't handle all the paperwork.
What paperwork? How much was there?

Beasts who talk and dwarfs and satyrs and fauns ... feel any great need for administration?

Especially since school compulsion (which under Jadis there had been for young dwarfs and satyrs) was abolished.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:There could also be human immigrants who came into Narnia after they found out that the human-killing-Jadis was dead.
Indeed, Lone Islands, some from Archenland, not sure if Telmar was already populated by Telmarines, think it was, Seven Islands (inspired no doubt by the birthplace of Lafkadio Hearn, on Lefkada = probably Ithaka, though others identify it as Thiaki, which belonged then to United States of the Ionian Islands, earlier Septinsular Republic) ... not forgetting Galma and Terebinthia.

Some of these places might be where Peridan came from.
Shield Maiden wrote:On the topic of councils, I find it highly likely that the Pevensies had a number of advisers, especially when they were younger and just beginning to rule.
Back then, for one thing they had friends, like Tumnus and the Beavers, for another, not yet many men.

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”