Prophecy Origin

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Shield Maiden
Knight

Prophecy Origin

Post by Shield Maiden » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm sure we're all familiar with the prophecies heralding the Pevensies' coming and the death of the White Witch. The other day, though, I was thinking: who spoke these prophecies? How did the Narnians know the speaker(s) was reliable? Were they given a time period for the fulfillment?

Thoughts?
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
narniac101
Contributor

Re: Prophecy Origin

Post by narniac101 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:07 pm

*pops into conversation*

My assumption would be that it was the stars who foretold the Pevensies coming. If this is so, then I'm guessing that a centaur probably would have been the one to add rhyme to the prophecies as well.
Roonwit said to Tirian in LB:
But I know there are liars on earth; there are none among the stars.
And stars are a reputable source for news in Narnia too, so maybe that.......... what was I just thinking about? Oh well. I'll remember it later.

So maybe it could have been the stars! Maybe....

Perhaps that could be a likely theory? :)
Thank you, Hobbit!
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

*suddenly has an idea for another fanfiction!!!*
LOL, Nan, you posted right before me!
But really, I, too, am pretty sure it would have been a centaur translating the stars. They tend to know almost everything.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:58 am

I assumed a centaur was involved (and I have a fic plot bunny that's been running around in my mind involving said centaur). As for reliability, I imagine the prophet(s) were highly reputable and/or there was a way to confirm whether a prophesy was true or false as in Old Testament times (eg: a conjunctive prophesy coming to be or a small-scale or similar version of its coming to pass).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 am

Narniac101 and Ariel of Narnia, are, I think on the right track. I wonder if the dryads also had a hand in prophecy, thinking about the dryad that spoke over Reepicheep.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue May 03, 2016 12:31 am

Ooh yeah! :) I hadn't really thought about the Narnian prophets that must have spoken the prophesies about the Pevensies.
As has been pointed out, other examples of Narnian prophets have been the Centaur that Cor and Corin were taken to as babies, and the Dryad that gave the utter east verse to Reepicheep. Glenstorm and Roonwit also appear to be prophets in some sense, and the stars themselves. All of these are messengers of Aslan in one way or another.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I actually had an old one-shot dealing with said Centaur, although if I was going to post it anywhere again it could use some serious upgrading and editing. Started feeling plotbunnyish after I saw him confronting Jadis in a dream, years ago...
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:47 am

I was thinking about this just a bit ago, and while it would be a bit of a stretch I think it would be really nice and bookendy if it was a message from Father Christmas as he left Narnia for the last time before being driven out.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Hmm. If nothing else, that'd be a nice little bombshell to drop right before leaving. Not to mention that, with his connection to joy and hope, it would make sense that he'd want to leave an encouraging prophesy for those who must sit out the winter.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Tooky, that would be neat if Father Christmas had left the prophecy

(What if Jadis had actually taken over Narnia on Christmas? Then it would be always winter and always Christmas! Yay!)
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”