I assume you'd like the link too? :) *sends it*
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: Horrid School?

Post by hansgeorg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Exactly right. Thanks again.

I liked getting it - but having read it, I didn't quite like it.

Now, the problem is not this scene: To Edmund's surprise etc. ...

The problem one is that Edmund started out a bit too much of a fighter, a bit out of character.

The other problem is the last scene, since I don't think Sullivan is the type to give up a chance of bullying just because victim remains calm. Also, pacifism like in turning the other cheek when seriously attacked (and bullying is serious) is not what CSL believed in and not what Narnia taught the children. Cfr Aslan telling Caspian, Jill and Eustace to physically punish bullies at end of SC.

Like a bully victim, from time to time, I ought to know sth about bullies.

No, I think rather Edmund would have gone to a different school and one at which Sullivan would have been quickly thrown out. If he had set his foot there and behaved like that.
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Hey Hans, what does Cfr mean? I think sth means 'something', but spelling things out helps! Thanks.
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Usually it is short for C-on-F-e-R (confer - more or less compare, actually bring together, like Shasta was brought together with Corin).

And, yes, this is how I used it:

Confer Aslan telling Caspian, Jill and Eustace to physically punish bullies at end of Silver Chair.

Hope this is of some assistance!

And yes, "sth" does mean S-ome-TH-ing.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:48 am

hansgeorg wrote:
HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:... or maybe Aunt Alberta convinced their parents that it was a good school, although I have no idea why Mrs. Pevensie would take advice from Aunt Alberta.
If they were sisters, even with different tastes and Mrs. Pevensie more conservative, why not? Even for sisters-in-law, she was not quite the Christian who could not bring herself about to take advice from an atheist, since if she had been, her children would already have known Jesus under His name "in our world".
I don't know. I kind of assumed that the Pevensies were "culturally" Christian. I mean, we have Lucy in the books being distraught that her siblings think she's lying about Narnia because she never lies. Overall, the children seem to have a traditionally Christian sense of right and wrong and they had to learn that from somewhere. I think perhaps they went to church, but that the Gospel, and why we should believe in God, was never explained.

Didn't Lewis say that he thought that if we could see Christianity without all the "stained glass" associations, that we would see its true potency?
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:57 pm

HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:I don't know. I kind of assumed that the Pevensies were "culturally" Christian. I mean, we have Lucy in the books being distraught that her siblings think she's lying about Narnia because she never lies. Overall, the children seem to have a traditionally Christian sense of right and wrong and they had to learn that from somewhere. I think perhaps they went to church, but that the Gospel, and why we should believe in God, was never explained.

Didn't Lewis say that he thought that if we could see Christianity without all the "stained glass" associations, that we would see its true potency?
...They were in WWII England, yeah? There are really, really good chances that they were culturally Christian, even if just via a certain amount of church in childhood.
Although I don't think that not liking to be thought of as a liar is strong evidence one way or another - you can certainly have an honor code and want to be a Good Person or trustworthy to your family without thinking of it specifically as Ten Commandments morality. Just - even today there's a certain amount of cultural Christianity in England, and you go farther back you get popular mandatory Bible education in schools, and in some regions or times which sort of Christian you are being a political as well as a religious issue - and the whole state church thing - even if their family wasn't particularly religious, having zero exposure seems extremely unlikely.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Couldn't it simply be that Peter was in boarding school but Edmund was still going to day school? Or that Peter already seemed to have a pretty steady moral compass and Edmund didn't so much. So while Ed would be more likely to look for acceptance, Peter would probably be off leading a chess club or something.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:04 am

Lucy Took wrote:Or that Peter already seemed to have a pretty steady moral compass and Edmund didn't so much. So while Ed would be more likely to look for acceptance, Peter would probably be off leading a chess club or something.
Peter could've been the more confident one of the two, as well. A little harder for peer pressure to wear down on him. There are always going to be the cruel or petty ones in any large enough social group, but if you've got a thin skin it's going to be easier for folks to find your emotional buttons, push you in the directions they want.

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”