Horrid School?

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jesusgirl4ever

Horrid School?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 pm

I've always wondered about the reason Lewis sort of gives for Edmund's general nastiness:
[He was] looking better than [Lucy] had seen him look- oh, for ages; in fact ever since his first term at that horrid school which was where he had begun to go wrong.
My main question is: Did he and Peter go to different schools? If so, why? If not, why was he nasty and Peter wasn't?

Any thoughts?
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Shield Maiden
Knight

Re: Horrid School?

Post by Shield Maiden » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:57 pm

I always generally accepted that Edmund went to a different school (no clue if Su and Lu went to the same school or not) during the events of LWW. In PC we know that the girls went to the same school and the boys went to the same school - maybe after Edmund's attitude changed, he wanted to be in the same school as his brother, or his parents felt that he should be at a better school?
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Yeah, that makes the most sense. Still, why 2 schools in the first place, I wonder?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Then again, it could just be that the personalities of the boys caused them to be affected by the school in different ways.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:58 am

Or Ed was younger and smaller and got picked on more, thus making him nasty. (My opinion prolly isn't my own; I've read too many fanfics. :lol: )
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 am

Even if they were in the same school I imagine that there are a number of possibilities... two which come to mind are that a) Peter could have spent his formative years somewhere else and transferred with some roots and grounding already intact, whereas for Ed this was the first time away from home and isolated from his support system, or b) Ed and Peter's years were engaged in quite separate activities, and Ed fell in with a bad crowd in his own year.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Or it could be that the school administration changed in between the time when Peter and Edmund attended. Or maybe Ed's school was closer to home and their parents chose it because of that, or maybe Aunt Alberta convinced their parents that it was a good school, although I have no idea why Mrs. Pevensie would take advice from Aunt Alberta. At least Peter and Edmund are headed to the same school in PC.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm

jesusgirl4ever wrote:Yeah, that makes the most sense. Still, why 2 schools in the first place, I wonder?
Peter could have started boarding school x, while Edmund was still at boarding school y.

And y could have been horrid to one but not the other. In real life, if I may mention a comparison, CSL had been one school behind WHL, his older brother. And "Wyvern" had clearly different effects on the two, Warnie rather liked it, Jack threatened his father with suicide (he had a gun, it was upper class and many were going to be officers) unless he were taken out of the school.
jesusgirl4ever wrote: Or Ed was younger and smaller and got picked on more, thus making him nasty.
Like Warnie was better off at Wyvern than Jack?
jesusgirl4ever wrote:(My opinion prolly isn't my own; I've read too many fanfics. :lol: )
And the part of school having different effects would be possible in the Wyvern perspective.

However, it seems both the Lewis brother's were first at Oldie's school, then Warnie went off to Wyvern, while Jack only was going to "Cherbourg" ("Wyvern" and "Cherbourg" are his changed names, he doesn't tell the real names of them), which in retrospect he found a bad influence (worldliness, interest in magic, atheism). (And by interest in magic, I do'nt mean reading Grimm, I mean reading Grimoires, if he could have found one).

Reason Jack went to Cherbourg is he was too young yet for Wyvern.

In other words, the fanfics have some sensible psychology in their authorship.
HermitoftheNorthernMarch wrote:... or maybe Aunt Alberta convinced their parents that it was a good school, although I have no idea why Mrs. Pevensie would take advice from Aunt Alberta.
If they were sisters, even with different tastes and Mrs. Pevensie more conservative, why not? Even for sisters-in-law, she was not quite the Christian who could not bring herself about to take advice from an atheist, since if she had been, her children would already have known Jesus under His name "in our world".

[Kristi edited for content]
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 am

Jaygee mentioned the possibility of Edmund's being bullied and becoming a bully. And she's already mentioned that her opinion may be influenced by fanfics. However, I read one just now that, I think, shows a good progression of what Ed's first year could have looked like. I'd share a link, but there is a single use of language.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:42 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Jaygee mentioned the possibility of Edmund's being bullied and becoming a bully. And she's already mentioned that her opinion may be influenced by fanfics. However, I read one just now that, I think, shows a good progression of what Ed's first year could have looked like. I'd share a link, but there is a single use of language.
I'd be interested Ariel, if you'd PM me?
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”