Preparing for the Meal at the Beavers'

Four children stumble through a wardrobe into a world in need of their help

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jesusgirl4ever

Preparing for the Meal at the Beavers'

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

So, I'm rereading LWW, and I noticed something in chapter 7, "A Day with the Beavers."

Peter goes with Mr. Beaver to catch fish (I don't know how he helps here...maybe he holds the pail?).

Susan and Lucy help Mrs. Beaver set the table, put the kettle on, slice the bread, and do other things to get ready.

Edmund does nothing. He isn't mentioned at all in this scene. So is this another subtle reminder that he's the one who is messed up and needs redemption?

I dunno, I just noticed this for the first time (after reading the books, like, ten to twenty times before; this is a reason to reread books :P ). Has anyone else noticed this?
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Preparing for the Meal at the Beavers'

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I've noticed it before, but not actively, if that makes sense. :P I should try going the books again, is time reading more carefully to see if I can spot other subtle things that I've noticed-but-not-noticed. (For example, I hadn't really recognized how close Tirian and Jewel's friendship was until late last month, at which point both of them moved up considerably on the level-of-favorite-character ladder because strong friendships are one of my absolute favorite things in books in general.)
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't believe I'd really put any thought into it, Jaygee. Though I kinda have to wonder where Edmund could be of help, besides keeping Mr Beaver and Peter company. I mean, the Beavers' house doesn't seem all that big (meaning too many bodies in the kitchen) and it sounds like supper was more than easily dealt with by the girls and Mrs Beaver. The only thing that really comes to mind is that perhaps Edmund could have set the table and poured the milk and beer or something....
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 am

It could be that Edmund is so hungry for Turkish Delight that he doesn't really think about eating normal food and consequently doesn't help prepare it. Also, he's the youngest boy in the family, he probably didn't have to do much cooking at home since he was younger and he had two sisters.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Benisse
Site Admin

Post by Benisse » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Great observation, Jaygee. This underscores Edmund's self imposed isolation.
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter

Return to “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”