The Hermit of the Southern March

To Narnia and the North!

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Tenethia
Site Admin

The Hermit of the Southern March

Post by Tenethia » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:00 am

We see very little of the Hermit in HHB. We know that he had lived more than one hundred years "in this world" and that he had a beard nearly to his knees. We also know he had some form of magic, that he referred to as his "art."

My question is: who is he? Who could he possibly be?

In Voyage of the Dawn Treader, we meet two retired stars. They're old (waaaaaaaaaaaaay older than 109, I know, but could "in this world" possibly be more of the world of the stars and world of Narnians? perhaps?), and they're wise, and magicians. Is the Hermit just possibly a retired star?

Any thoughts? :)
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
elanorelle
Contributor

Re: The Hermit of the Southern March

Post by elanorelle » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:30 am

His origin does seem to be a tricky subject. I've always associated him with Ramandu and Coriakin for some odd reason. Maybe Lewis wanted us to assume that he too is a star? It would make sense since he wrote HHB after VDT which would give the reader and idea of retired star "qualities" and "characteristics" before encountering him in the later book. Definitely something to ponder.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 am

I always just figured he was an Archenlander that lived a long time because of his lifestyle, and was wise because of his age.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:19 am

I don't think I've really thought much about his origins. The possibility of his being a star, I think, is plausible. But, as hobbit mentioned, he may well be just an ordinary old man, possibly destined to stick around till a certain point in time (a la Simeon, the old man in the temple when Jesus was dedication).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 am

My guess is that he is a man who has just lived a long time. Maybe he originally lived in Narnia, ran away to escape Jadis, and started calling himself a hermit.
If that's the case, there could still be Narnians around that he knew from his younger days because they had been turned to stone all that time.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue May 12, 2015 12:37 am

:o That is a fascinating thought, Hermit!
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:40 am

Whoever he is in the story, the role of hermit is obviously taken over from those extreme monks who do not live in monasteries with other monks, but alone with animals and plants - and God.

Return to “The Horse and His Boy”