A prince discovers the truth about Narnia, its throne and its true ruler

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

What Language was Spoken in Narnia?

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:06 pm

English, right?

Frank and Helen were English.

Telmarines did not change that, so there would have been English pirates among their ancestors. Even if names sound slightly Spanish to Sindarin.

Even Calormen, despite titles and names very exotic, must have spoken English if Shasta and Aravis could understand King Lune and Edmund and Susan and so many others - including an 'edge'og - and same for Northern Wilderness.

So, what exactly was the language Prince Caspian was studying for Doctor Cornelius in the book by Pulverulentus Siccus? Latin? For what precise occasions?

English hardly needs a whole textbook for accidence (a k a morphology).

And how exactly was English preserved identical to 19th C London + some Middle Ages and + some Pirates of 17th C. for thousands of years between Creation and Telmarine times?

If Hebrew was preserved from Adam to Abraham basically unchanged, at least lifespans were longer and therefore more overlapping.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What Language was Spoken in Narnia?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:48 pm

English, I assume. It would have been rough on the Pevensies and Eustace and Jill coming to Narnia otherwise.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Unless there was some magic which made them switch language without noticing.

But yes, I assume so too.

How do you account for Narnia existing much longer than the distance between King Alfred and us and still having the same English?

I mean there were about 1000 years between first and second arrival of Pevensies.

and forġyf ūs ūre gyltas, swā swā wē forġyfað ūrum gyltendum. = And forgive us our guilts as also we forgive our guilters ?

Same language?
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:22 pm

That's a question I wondered about too. But I think the appearances of the other peoples in the Narnia universe (Telmarines, Calormenes, etc.) may partially explain it.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:56 pm

I believe they said they were speaking Narnian. Didn't Tumnus mention that? I do believe Aslan would have purposely done the language switch idea so that it wouldn't be hard on them. He knew they spoke a different language there. I think what happened can be related to what happened at the Pentecost, in the New Testament.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:04 am

I think they would call it Narnian, just as we call English English, not Anglo-Saxon-Norman. Somehow America hasn't started calling American English American, but we might if England wasn't a place that we could go.

And that is an interesting question about what Caspian was speaking. Perhaps the high born of Non-Narnian countries had distinct dialects by the time Telmar took over?

While linguistic evolution didn't seem to take place in Narnia (Must have driven Tolkien mad :P ) one reason for there only being one language and a slowing of the language changing would be that there's no equivalent of the tower of Bable in Narnia so there would be no reason for there to be a massive language shift due to mingling with people that spoke something different.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:08 am

It's possible too, that with everyone being spread out over the world of Narnia, different regions would have different vocabularies over time (most notably to our knowledge, the Calormenes as opposed to... everyone else we know of). As for the basic preservation (or non- or slow evolution) of the language over such a great span of time, I have no explanation.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:04 pm

I wonder if talking animals and walking trees can have contributed some conservatism.

Telmarines are obviously English Pirates only if the Telmarines in Narnia speak English - otherwise it is not so obvious from what nation the pirates came.

Telmarines and Calormenes seem to have had access each to another language than English, to judge from names. As for Archenland, there might have been Irish as that other language. Telmarines seem also to have studied Latin - Pulverulentus Siccus might have been a learned Pirate's self mocking translation of a nickname like "Dry-as-Dust".
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:50 pm

So this is kinda my answer to the question. I must add that I wrote it over four years ago and before my Masters degree in which I had properly studied historical linguistics and language change (although having studied it now, some of the questions raised are even more relevant).

http://hedgepickle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... arnia.html
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:33 am

Wonderful refreshment, I had seen it already. But forgotten about it.

I had written a Google doc about it, I think, yes, the Philologica article about Narnian Philology is not it, and I don't know how to get to my google docs after they switched system.

Return to “Prince Caspian”