Coriakin & Magic

Of long lost lords, dragons and the destiny of Narnia's bravest mouse

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Coriakin & Magic

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:28 pm

OK. So when we first meet Coriakin it is under the assumption that he is a "magician," thus explaining his book of Aslan's-laws-abiding spells, and his collection of mysterious objects. But then we find that he is a Star who has been grounded. So what I'm wondering is this: do the two go together? Was the magic something he learned or collected after landing, or does magical ability come inherently with being a Star--with the intimate knowledge of the laws of the world learned in the Great Dance? Would other Stars, or even part-Stars, have abilities which would look like magic to normal mortals aside from their dancing, glowing, and singing?

Something to think about, anyway. :)
Ajnos
Site Admin

Re: Coriakin & Magic

Post by Ajnos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Very interesting questions.

I think probably, if he'd thought about it, Lewis would claim that Coriakin's magical abilities came from his being a star.I'm not sure if this is based on anything they actually said (or more on stuff I've read by commentators) but I think that both Tolkien and Lewis (almost certainly Tolkien) liked the idea that magic was not something humans should practice but something that (in its good forms) was the domain of other - fantastical - beings. (Tolkien makes it clear, for example, that his wizards were actually angelic-type beings and even comments that "wizard" was an unfortunate choice of name and that he only used it for its etymological association with wisdom). We probably get a hint of this from Lewis' side in that Uncle Andrew, the one human who did try to practice magic, was dealing with things beyond what he could handle and it didn't turn out very well for him. There's also that line where Cornelius tells Caspian that magic isn't something young princes should indulge in.

Coriakin, on the other hand, lived on an isolated island and had to look after the difficult Dufflepuds. Since the stars are also associated with prophesy, it seems that magic (i.e. abilities beyond that of normal humans) is part of their nature and as, Lily suggested, it is likely something they learn in the Dance. I suspect he used this knowledge he had to govern the Dufflepuds (which involved him making them into monopods and making them invisible). It would be interesting to think of how he might have used some of the other spells in the book.
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Ethranduil
Knight

Post by Ethranduil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Oooh, nice comments Ajjie :D
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 am

This is a good question, I agree with Ajnos and assume that Coriakin's ability as a magician comes from being a star.

I think the magic book is on the island because he needs the spells to keep society on the island going. Since the dufflepuds have many unusual ways about cooking and gardening, Coriakin would need spells to create food for everyone during shortages, like the food he gives to Lucy.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
SYorickson
Knight

Post by SYorickson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:43 am

As I remember, Coriarkin was a sort of demoted star who was assigned to the island in chastisement. Aslan may have allowed him to keep his star like quality of magic as an expression of his grace. Just like God mercifully provided Adam and Eve with clothes when they were banished from Eden, Aslan may have allowed Coriarkin to have magic so his time on the island would not be unbearable.

Return to “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”