The Power of The Last Battle

Further up and further in!

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

jasmine_tarkheena
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: The Power of The Last Battle

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Wed May 11, 2022 2:09 pm

The Last Battle is a very gripping story. It is also perhaps the most complex in the series. It deals with a lot of heavy themes on manipulation, life and death, lust (lust for power, that is), afterlife.

Shift manipulates Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan, "This is the will of Aslan" or "This is what Aslan wants". As time went on, Shift then gets manipulated by Rishda and Ginger. It's like you want to tell Shift, "Who's the puppet now?"

Eustace and Jill go back to Narnia. Since the events of The Silver Chair, Jill had overcome the bullies, so she is more confident. However, maybe when she gets to Narnia that time, Shift and Rishda are now the bullies or maybe it's just Rishda that's the bully. Anyhow, Eustace and Jill rescue Tirian and help rescue Narnia. Only that time Narnia can't be rescued.

Then there is the concept of the afterlife. Emeth talking of his meeting with Aslan is my favorite scene. Each book has it's own unique introduction to Aslan. Emeth's perspective is no exception.
Benisse
Site Admin

Re: The Power of The Last Battle

Post by Benisse » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:30 pm

Swanwhite wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 am
I'm not sure I can add my heart here in words, I mean more than what has been said, but reading over your descriptions I feel along with you. The Last Battle cuts deep. It seems like everything is coming to an end when you suddenly find it is the brightest beginning with joy beyond description.

I think it would be great if we read the Last Battle for our challenge next summer :)
I second that book nomination, Swan!

--Spoiler Alert!--
The Last Battle is tied as my favorite Chronicle, along with The Magician's Nephew. I remember hearing it the first time and being heartbroken at points (the "freed" dwarves, or the talking horses' tragic reception when coming to the rescue during the last battle)... Yet there is such courageous beauty too: the small creatures bringing food and drink to the poor king lashed to the tree, the insightful question of the young lamb at the bonfire, the description tying the Stable on the hill to the Stable in our world that once held something bigger than the whole world... Also I love how Puzzle is rescued and ultimately restored after his encounter with Aslan -- This narrative shows the deep power of redemption shining into even the biggest mess-ups in our lives! So there is hope for me too...
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Last edited by Benisse on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double photo upload
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter

Return to “The Last Battle”