The Last Battle in film

Likes, dislikes, discussions and speculation for the future

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: The Last Battle in film

Post by hansgeorg » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:19 am

I have considered filming a card board theatre version.

Chesterton said a problem drama of the modern psychological type is impossible on card board theatres, but "the last judgement" would be easy.

However, there are parts of the LB which do come closer to the former extreme. Like how Puzzle reacts to Shift or how Poggin and the other dwarfs (I guess saying dwarves is inappropriate for Narnia) react to Jill's disclosure.
Esprit wrote:So, months later I've come back to this thread with another idea. What if there is a tiny scene (maybe after a portion of the credits) in which we get an idea as to Susan's fate?
My take on it in my fan fic is that Polly's words are said by Polly before Lucy suggests asking Aslan about it. While CSL bases most of LB on Susan's dreams (including the one in which she hears Polly saying that), Susan only after sending the near completed story (a part on the rings is CSL's modification, to hide what really happened to them in our world) gets the other dream that continues the conversation and where they do ask Aslan about it.

My take is also that Polly was not (despite already being in Heaven) speaking prophetically, but simply giving her human assessment, before Lucy's suggestion changed things very radically for Susan. It is just after the trainwreck that Susan has her first dream, in which she hears Polly's reproach.

Anyone interested in my fan fic, ask Ajnos for link.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 pm

@hansgeorg: Cardboard theatre? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this term.
So your fic proposes that LB is based on dreams Susan had?
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Q1) Cardboard theatre? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this term.
A) Cardboard theatre. Stage of painted cardboard. Puppets of painted cardboard. Like a puppet theatre but very flat.
Q2) So your fic proposes that LB is based on dreams Susan had?
A) Yes, what other way would there be for anyone in our world
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:08 am

Oh, okay, I get what you mean by cardboard theatre now. That would be interesting!
knight and scribe
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:25 pm

(Noting my fan fic will probably not be consulted for ideas about LB)
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:53 pm

The cardboard theater idea reminds me of what they did with Pauline Baynes' illustrations in the Dawn Treader credits (one of my favorite parts of the film), and also Caspian's explanation of "The Voyage Thus Far" as presented in the VDT special features. These were, of course, done digitally and not with actual cardboard, but the effect feels similar to me. I've thought before that the simplest low-budget way to get all the books on film would be to produce the series using this method with Bayne's illustrations, and supplemental work in her style...I feel like Reading Rainbow or another educational series used to do this type of thing a lot...

(Still slightly off-topic, but I suppose it belongs here more than elsewhere.)
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:18 pm

" I've thought before that the simplest low-budget way to get all the books on film would be to produce the series using this method with Bayne's illustrations, and supplemental work in her style...I feel like Reading Rainbow or another educational series used to do this type of thing a lot..."

I highly endorse this, and think that if the event of art as such was a cardboard theatre and the films just filmed that event, then Walden Media would legally have nothing to complain about if it was done before 2018.

Maybe I am wrong, but ....
kristi
Site Admin

Post by kristi » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Ah, but the books themselves are still under copyright, in the United States anyway. Not everywhere. This project could be done in Canada or South Africa where the copyrights have expired.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Ah, but I meant with the blessing of Douglas Gresham, who is presumably not himself super happy with the moratorium.

And of course, when it comes to Canada and South Africa, you may have a point.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:58 am

Does anyone have any ideas for a "transition into Narnia" (assuming we start with the Friends of Narnia)? I love the three that we've got thus far and wanted to hear any ideas for an LB transition, especially since it seems to have been pretty quick and we can't make it too obvious that there's a train wreck.
knight and scribe

Return to “The Walden Media Films”