Cartoon film of LWW and its music.

The '80s TV adaptations

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

trufflehunter
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Cartoon film of LWW and its music.

Post by trufflehunter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Did anyone else grow up watching the 1979 cartoon film of LWW? I watched it hundreds of times. I always loved the music, and finally tracked down a rare promo release of it on cd. I found out who composed it, and screwed up my courage. I emailed him to tell him how much I loved the music and what a big part of my childhood it was. He replied! He was so charming and it made my day!
always narnian
Site Admin

Re: Cartoon film of LWW and its music.

Post by always narnian » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:39 am

Woah! That's so awesome you got a reply!

But no, I am afraid I did not grow up with it. My best friend did, though, which is quite funny. I saw it later, a year or two ago, and I almost found it kind of...creepy! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I watched it again. But some old cartoons kind of are odd to me. I grew up with the old Lord of the Rings cartoons, though, and always liked them. I think it depends sometimes on if you grew up with it or not. I do not remember the music to the LWW cartoon. Maybe I'll have to give it another go.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 am

Oh, my goodness, the cartoon LWW was my first introduction to Narnia; I must have seen it first when I was four or five, a couple years before I first read it. People may criticize it because of the green-haired orange-skinned Tumnus and the Pevensies' awful clothes, but my having seen it before reading it makes me more loyal to it than to the BBC. :P I just recently watched it again after not having seen it for years, and laughed until I cried because for some reason it struck me as funny. I love Aslan's size, though...
That's so cool that you got a letter from the composer! :mrgreen:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
trufflehunter
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by trufflehunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I think if I'd not seen it before, I'd find it a little odd too! And there are funny parts too. But it was my own door into Narnia. In my head the narnia I know is a mixture of this and pauline baynes' illustrations. I think the story was so strong it leapt out at me.

The composer was so lovely. He's British but he lives in America now.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:00 am

I just watched it for the first time. Horray for blonde Lucys!... Have any of y'all watched the deleted scene? If so, what was with Queen Susan the Valiant and Queen Lucy the Wise???
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:36 pm

A deleted scene? :o I don't believe I've seen it.
Queen Susan the Valiant and Queen Lucy the Wise, though... :? Were the boys' titles the same?
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 am

Yes, they were.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:50 pm

hobbit_of_narnia wrote:Oh, my goodness, the cartoon LWW was my first introduction to Narnia; I must have seen it first when I was four or five, a couple years before I first read it. People may criticize it because of the green-haired orange-skinned Tumnus and the Pevensies' awful clothes, but my having seen it before reading it makes me more loyal to it than to the BBC. :P I just recently watched it again after not having seen it for years, and laughed until I cried because for some reason it struck me as funny. I love Aslan's size, though...
That's so cool that you got a letter from the composer! :mrgreen:
That version holds a special place in my heart. It's funny thought because to my little childish mind it was better than the BBC version. I really have no clue why I thought so except I was very opinionated as a child. One of the things I enjoy (I think Kristi may have mentioned this.) I think it is the only one to include "the romp" before heading out to the battle.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Ah, yes, the romp! I loved the romp! And the white flowers appearing wherever he stood during it...I've always liked that. :)
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 am

trufflehunter wrote:I always loved the music, and finally tracked down a rare promo release of it on cd. I found out who composed it, and screwed up my courage. I emailed him to tell him how much I loved the music and what a big part of my childhood it was. He replied! He was so charming and it made my day!
Well, what is his name?

His having composed music for that is obviously not a private business, but a public pride of his.

Return to “The BBC and other videos”