Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Re: BBC serial

Post by albero1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:42 pm

@Ariel: Wait. Flying flaming skulls? What? *is slightly confused*
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Okay, so looks like I remembered wrong. My memory told me they were skulls. But they're not far from it....
albero1
Knight

Post by albero1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

On which movie?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:38 pm

LWW. They show up a couple times right before Edmund has been rescued and the Witch is calling for all the Fell Creatures to join her for war and then again during the battle.
albero1
Knight

Post by albero1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 pm

I haven't seen BBC LWW. The only one I watched was SC because I'd never seen it on screen before. :D
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:50 am

Oh I think I know what you're talking about, Ariel! All those animated creatures of the White Witch's are pretty creepy!
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm totally with Shi that I think the BBC should redo Narnia. Considering what they are able to do now, it would be amazing. Unfortunately, it very likely would not be as close to the book as the old ones, so maybe we should just be happy with what we've got.

I've found that if you think of it more as a play than a movie/TV series, it's a lot easier to deal with the animal costumes. You also need to remember that animation and other methods for depicting non-humans has come a very long way since the 80s. I think I heard an interview somewhere where they mentioned that there were some elements of the BBC Narnia serials that were actually considered quite advanced/cutting edge at the time. (Maybe my memory's making that up, but I think it was an interview with one or all of the actors filmed many years later). Also, today we think of BBC as producing high budget good quality (almost blockbuster-style) programmes, but the guys that made Narnia were working with a very small budget (which is why they reused actors such as the Professor and Father Christmas and the White and Green witches). Considering what they had available in terms of technology and money at the time I think they did a brilliant job.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 pm

I agree with the idea of thinking of it as a play, since even character movements are very much like what you'd expect to see on a stage.
I wouldn't doubt the thought that they used cutting-edge effects. I saw a behind-the-scenes something of how they made Glenstorm. And even though I laugh when I see him run (he looks like he's tripping because the movements of the man-half and the horse-half aren't synced as they are in the Walden ones), they were working with greenscreen and bluescreen leotards, not to mention however they managed to get rid of the horse head in order to splice the upper man in.
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:58 am

So, we've actually started watching them for the first time in many years. (Well, Mama and I are watching them; Daddy's more complaining about how he likes the newer ones better.) We've finished LWW and have watched the first episode of PC.

One thing they added that I liked was in the treasure chamber, Lucy asks Edmund where his gifts are. I like that because it shows she's forgiven him and forgotten.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue May 03, 2016 12:19 am

OK, so we just finished SC. Whoa, Rilian was weird and creepy and...phew!

However, I wanted to ask ya'll's opinion on the dragon they inserted. Good idea? Bad idea?
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC

Return to “The BBC and other videos”