Dufflepuds

Discussions on various characters and creature types from the world of Narnia

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, jesusgirl4ever, Ajnos

elanorelle
Contributor

Dufflepuds

Post by elanorelle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Well a few days ago I was looking for mythological creatures alongside my sister and I found something quite curious...

Monopod (alias sciopod): The original version of the monopod legend appears in Pliny's Natural Histories, his series of Latin books dealing with the wonders of the biological and geological world. There, he describes how travellers have told him of the monopods, which have a broad-toed foot, with the toes curled upward in a shape reminiscent of a little boat. Their extraordinary method of resting was Lying flat on their backs with the single leg straight up in the air like a parasol, protecting them from harsh sun or rain. They travelled by hopping from place to place, and they apparently lived in the antipodes (i.e., the southern hemisphere).

Most mythological critters of this sort were probably transmitted to medieval readers by Isidore of Seville, whose encyclopedic works, the Etymologiae, included a compendium of strange words, creatures, herbs, and gems, discussing their magical properties. The legend did not spread very widely, but the monopod was resurrected in literature by C. S. Lewis' Christian fantasy series, The Chronicles of Narnia. Naming the creatures Dufflepuds, he places them on the Island of the Voices, as reported in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Aside from C. S. Lewis' book in English, most of the sources are in Latin, and they are not widely available in English translation.

I don't quite remember where I found it (but I'm sure you might be able to find it), as I only saved it for future reference.

I had always thought that Dufflepuds came from the Professors own imagination, but 'tis not so. Still I give him credit for using a creature never been used before. ;)

So what do you think?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: Dufflepuds

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Huh. I'd thought they were Lewis' idea too. But it's kinda cool to see that this was something already developed but extremely obscure that he decided to use!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Huh. I'd thought they were Lewis' idea too. But it's kinda cool to see that this was something already developed but extremely obscure that he decided to use!
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:50 pm

I had thought he invented them too, when I saw a one-legged camera holding device at Walmart labled a "monopod" instead of a modified "tripod" I thought they had taken the name from Narnia.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 pm

lol! I don't think I've ever noticed that those two shared a name... weird, since I'm the type to connect everything back to Narnia if at all possible.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Ooh! Yes! Thanks for bringing this up.

I found out a year or so ago about the monopods as mythical creatures, I think Kristi pointed it out to me after she found the reference in a bestiary or something. One of the first talks at the CS Lewis society in Oxford was about influences from medieval bestiaries on Lewis' works where it came up again. Also, I mentioned in the other forum that I went to the exhibition on Maigical Books (i.e. fantasy literature) in Oxford where they had copies of the actual medieval bestiaries that have been in the Bodleian since those times. Although the description said that there were monopods in the book, unfortunately it was behind glass and not open to that page.

I didn't know they dated all the way back to Pliny though. That's really cool. :)

Good ol' Lewis for resurrecting an obscure mythical creature!
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
marmota-b
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by marmota-b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:32 pm

I've known for some time; I think I've seen a period picture of various weird humanoids people used to believe in several times (another one did not have a head and had their face in the belly, if I recall correctly), and they cropped up in a book of myths. But Lewis was definitely quite unique in using them.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:17 pm

The one who had the face in the belly would be from the travels of Mandeville.

Linnäus divided Homo - man - into:

Homo Europäus
Homo Asiaticus
Homo Africanus
Homo Americanus
and
Homo Monstruosus.

He was obviously well aware of such, not myths, but now obscure testimonies.

How many here think that when it came to the Cyclops, Ulysses was abusing the gullibility of his subjects and his hosts among Phaeacians? He was in a position to, but it is also possible cyclopes and monopods have existed.
marmota-b

Post by marmota-b » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm

You are correct, Hans, although I wasn't quite - it's in their chest. And the picture does indeed include a Dufflepudy Monopod as well.

Return to “Characters and creatures”