Lillys First Avatar Tutorial

Do you know how to work a graphics creating or photo editing program? Want to show others how to do all sorts of cool things on them? Share your knowledge here!

Moderators: Lucy Took, White Rose

Lil
Site Admin

Lillys First Avatar Tutorial

Post by Lil » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Quote from Lil on August 1, 2013, 17:01

Avvie with spiffy shiny red spot of light Tutorial. (This Tutorial was made with Gimp 2.6.11)

Some of the tips came from tutorials on Narniaweb. Others I just made up myself.
One of the tutorials I used parts of, used to be posted on this forum before the site Crash. Their Name was "WanderingRanger"

Start with an image 100x100. I took found a Avatar Base from Spareoom.net and downloaded it.

Duplicate the base and set to Screen 40%. To Duplicate simply find the "Layer" tab and look for the option "Duplicate Layer".

I found it especially helpful to work with the Layer control open (Ctrl + L ) Once there you can keep track of which is the base layer and set it to Various settings.

Duplicate the Layer again and set to Dodge 40%. Flatten image. (Click on the Image Tab, a few down from "File", then Scroll down to Flatten Image.)

Then open the texture you see below. (File/Open as Layers)

Set to "Screen" and Position it as you like.

There. Hopefully If I've remembered right your Avatar should look somewhat like this.

(Spareoom.net is not affiliated with thelionscall.com)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)

Return to “Tutorials”