Clear Text Tutorial in GIMP

Do you know how to work a graphics creating or photo editing program? Want to show others how to do all sorts of cool things on them? Share your knowledge here!

Moderators: Lucy Took, White Rose

elanorelle
Contributor

Clear Text Tutorial in GIMP

Post by elanorelle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 am

In this tutorial I will show you how to do a cool text effect using the image manipulation program GIMP.

I will be using this image as it is already 500x160 (signature maximum):

And I will be adding text to look like this:

1. Save the above image (the one without the text) or an image of your choice in a folder you can easily find.

2. Open GIMP.

3. Go to File>Open>then find and choose your picture.

4. Click open.

5. It will open up, and your layers dock should look like this:

6. Now click on the “A” in the toolbox. (That is the text tool).

7. Click and drag your mouse across your picture.

8. Inside of the box type the text you want to appear on your picture. (Don't worry about font, colour, or size just yet.)

9. Now here is the fun part! Customise your font! I find it easier to do it directly on the picture, like this:
(Note: Using a lighter colour or white will look much better for this text tutorial.)

10. After you are finished getting the font how you want it click the Move Tool:

11. Click the text layer and move it around the area you want it to be.

12. After you have it situated refer to the Layers dock and be sure that the text layer is the one selected:

13. Now go to the top and click Filters>Light and Shadow>Drop Shadow.

14. A box should pop up (Make sure it looks like mine):

15. Click OK.

16. Right click on your text layer (in the Layer dock), a list should pop up. Click on “Alpha to Selection”.

17. The text should now have moving lines all around it.

18. Now make sure that you select the the “drop shadow” layer.

19. Go to the top and click Edit>Cut

20. Select the text layer once more in the Layer dock. Go to the top of GIMP and click Select>None

21. The moving lines should now disappear.

22. Now go back to the Layers dock, click on the drop down arrow in “Mode”.

23. Click on “Overlay”

24. The text should now look clear.

25. With the text layer still selected click on the two squares at the bottom of the Layers dock. (This will duplicate the layer).

26. You can duplicate the text layer as many times as you wish to get your desired effect. You can also lower the Opacity if you wish. (Note: I duplicated mine three times.)

27. Once you are finished click File>Export>title it>Export>Export.

28. You have successfully completed this tutorial!
____________________________________________________________________________________________
I hope you were able to follow this easily. If anything seems confusing please let me know so that I can fix it.

-Elanor

Return to “Tutorials”