How to blend with GIMP

Do you know how to work a graphics creating or photo editing program? Want to show others how to do all sorts of cool things on them? Share your knowledge here!

Moderators: Lucy Took, White Rose

elanorelle
Contributor

How to blend with GIMP

Post by elanorelle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 pm

In this tutorial I will show you how to do a simple blend using the image manipulation program GIMP.

I will be using these two images as they are already 450x160 (Signature maximum on the other site):

And changing them to this:

1. Save above images or two images of your own choosing in a folder you can easily find.

2. Open Gimp.

3. Go to File>Open as Layers>Choose your pictures. (Tip: If you hold Ctrl you can select both at the same time.)

4. Click Open.

5. Both will open up. The Layers dock should look like this:

6. Using the Move Tool in the Toolbox dock move the top layer where you want it. (Don't worry about how it looks when you move it, the blend should fix that ;) )

7. After you have moved the picture where you want it go to the Layers dock and right click on the top layer. A whole list of options should pop up: click Add Layer Mask.

Make sure that you select White Full Opacity (unless it is already selected.) Click Add.

8. Select the Blend Tool from the Toolbox dock: (Note: Be sure that the Foreground colour is black and the Background colour is white as pictured.)

9. Run the Blend Tool across the two pictures:

10. Voila! You now have a blended picture! If you don't like the way it looks play around with the Blend Tool until you have something that pleases you.

11. If you are satisfied with how it turned out and want to save it go to File>Export

12. Title it what you would like it to be called> Click Export> A window will pop up “Export image as JPEG” or “Export image as PNG”> Click Export.

13. You are finished!

If anything seems confusing please tell me so that I can fix it.

I hope this tutorial is simple enough to follow and useful too as it is my first-ever tutorial. ^.^

Thanks very much for reading.
-Elanor

Return to “Tutorials”