What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What readest thou?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:04 am

I've been reading a few of Jack London's works (it's hard to turn down a 99¢ ebook compilation of promising length). I'm finding that they're rather depressing, albeit very engaging.
But on a lighter note, my dad borrowed some book archives of the original Batman comics, and so we've been reading them together. I'm really enjoying it; the earlier comics are much funnier and lighter than the later ones. :P
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:02 am

I've never read a Jack London all through.

I was a fan of the Batman comics back well before "dark knight" thing.

In earlier comics Joker smiles and the dynamic duo also smiles (very combative smiles, but still smiles).

In the later ones, the Joker keeps smiling, Batman doesn't. Perhaps he read too much Jack London? ;)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 pm

hansgeorg wrote:In the later ones, the Joker keeps smiling, Batman doesn't. Perhaps he read too much Jack London? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 am

Finished The Book Thief and I think my eyes were leaking just a bit.
It was good, I'll say that straight away, added to my list of favourites - that is for sure - but there is need to mention the coarse language (in both English and German), violence, and other parts that are not family friendly.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am

Lily, what is Firefly-setting?

Ela, is it about St Dismas or about a more recent counterpart?
elanorelle
Contributor

Post by elanorelle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:10 pm

@Hans: It's about a girl growing up in Nazi Germany.
hansgeorg

Post by hansgeorg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Oh, The BOOK thief, I saw The GOOD thief. My bad. I did see film publicity for film version of the BT.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Lily of Archenland wrote:
Lil, what's the premise on The Scent of Water?
from goodreads.com
Mary Lindsay is a born and bred Londoner who has enjoyed her city life-a prestigious job, and friends with whom she takes in the city pleasures of theatre, art and music. But fleeting memories of a childhood visit to her father's elderly cousin out in the country are revived with the news that the woman has willed her home, the Laurels, to Mary. She makes an uncharacteristically sudden and life-changing decision to leave London for the country. The gradual unfolding of her understanding of herself, of the now-deceased woman who has bequeathed her home to Mary, and of the people of Appleshaw, all weave together in a most memorable story of love's redemptive power.
Otherwise, I don't know because I /just/ started reading. it's by a lady named Elizabeth Goudge, I liked her "the Little White Horse" story
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 am

@hobbi The Call of the Wild had me crying. Jack London and Robert Service tend to write on similar tones.

I finished the Screwtape Letters and loved it. Lewis has such a way of relating and explaining human behvaiour (it's kinda freaky). Also, the sass and general snarkiness is amazing. I found it was fairly dense, though - all the academic language makes it tough to get through (especially first thing in the morning or late at night).
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
daughterofaslan

Post by daughterofaslan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 am

I just finished Gladys Aylward, its a story of a missionary lady. Its a really wonderful book. I would recomend it to anybody. :P
Set made by Hobbit. Thank you!
Daughter of Aslan (Also known as Dazzle)
Sister of Chess and Pev

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”