What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Lil
Site Admin

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Lil » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:13 am

I just finished the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It was pretty fun and amusing. The way the author weaves things together that you don't realize until later was an important clue or a twist in a turn of phrasing. It is set in more ancient times with a twist of mythology that is reminiscent of greek myths. I can't think of anything really that might be an issue.

(I also have finished the next book after it, the Queen of Attolia, but it's tone is much more serious, due to something that happens to the hero, as well as wars, politics and a pretty ruthless leader queen. However, why she is is explained. It's young adult fiction, but I would definitely recommend to older readers. I haven't read the third one yet, however I am expecting it to be more lighthearted again. Hopefully!)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 pm

@Hobbit: Oh, both. Kinda hard to read, not too bad. Way to much content.

Going back into Redwall series, after dropping it for a while. I LOVE THESE BOOKS!

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
silver_fountain

Post by silver_fountain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 pm

*Has tons of books on my reading list that I want to read, but is still accepting more suggestions* :?
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

If you like Watership Down, you will like Redwall.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
silver_fountain

Post by silver_fountain » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:11 pm

I haven't quite finished that because I'm slow, and time is not something that I have a lot of, but I'm working on it :)
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I didn't think to post this when I read it, but I recently read Phil Vischer's book Me, Myself and Bob wherein he writes about his life, creating Veggietales, dreaming big, and how he dealt with his own dreams being taken away from him.

It is a good book if you want to use media to influence people for God or like Veggietales in general.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:04 am

I finished "The Scriptures Testify of Me", edited by DA Carson. And then I read "The Hero of Hacksaw Ridge" (warning for war violence) by Booton Herndon.

And now I'm about to read "The Case of Christ" by Lee Strobel.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 am

I just finished reading the Door Within trilogy, on Pev’s suggestion, along with backup from Jaygee, since she said somewhere in this thread that she liked it. :P

There were parts that reminded me of Narnia and LotR, and there were epic characters and interesting original ideas. I think it's an awesome series. :mrgreen:
Thank you, Hobbit!
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Yay! Someone else read Door Within! :D

I re-read The Shunning by Beverly Lewis, since my family re-watched the Hallmark movies based on the series. I found myself surprised; I actually like the movie, for the first one, at least, better. The parents are much more relate able, even if the book is more realistic.
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 am

I've read The Door Within too! It's pretty good, but it reminded me more of LotR more than Narnia, although, of course Batson uses a good deal of allegory in the series too. And the dual-person concept was very interesting (everyone in this series is both on Earth but has an separate self in the other world of Alleble.)

I also recommend the Dragon's in Our Midst series by Bryan Davis. He is a Narnia fan.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”