What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 am

I'm so glad to have someone recognize that the learning styles aren't clear cut! I tend to be an audio learner who has to keep my hands busy while listening to things, but I'm also in a visual field. Which has worked out great for me because I'll do the visual work while listening to educational podcasts.

I've been reading a lot of "junk food" books lately. Mostly from the YA section. I'm not going to grad school until fall, but I'm binging on drivel before I have to go back to reading stuff with actual depth. A little Doctor Who novel here, a Jane Austen official fanfic there (Death Comes to Pemberly. The book's OK, I actually would recommend the miniseries before I recommended the book. the BBC miniseries is pretty much unchanged from the book and the book's a tad on the dry side, though well researched. It captures the characters well, just not that "spark", but the miniseries acting brings in the spark) and I started reading the Percy Jackson series, which is a fun little diversion for a mythology geek given that the author clearly did some research.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 am

@Lucy
YA "junk food"? What about the Ranger's Apprentice series? I loved them but they certainly fit in that category :D

THE PERCY JACKSON DFHSLFHLEHF hehehe I ove those so much Xd

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lucy Took
Site Admin

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm

I've actually not read Ranger's Apprentice, but it seems like something I probably eventually will read.

Junk Food would be pretty much anything that isn't required for me to analyze for a class or isn't non-fiction. :P Though I would probably exclude things that actually are meant to prove a point and/or take some time and thoughtfulness to read, like most classics.

I guess I'm just saying I'm doing some fun reading.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Ranger's Apprentice are certainly very good stories, although not high quality writing. But very very very enjoyable :P

Yeah that makes sense. it's a good description for it. :D

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 am

Spent three hours on the couch today since I'm crazy sore from yesterday's 1.5-to-2-hour workout (the couch was the most comfortable place to be; ordinarily, I would have been on the computer), so I put it to good use and finished American Sniper. (Warning: This book has a lot of foul language and several anecdotes that are not TLC-friendly! As much as I enjoyed the book overall, I do not recommend it.)

I intend on starting The Boy in the Striped Pajamas tomorrow.

And, since I decided I was going to join in on my library's winter reading program, I hope to do a lot of reading before the end of February. Which will hopefully mean that the number of unread items on my now-rendered-inadequate bookself will dwindle. :roll:

Jan 8 edit: Finished The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Starting The Book Thief tomorrow.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am

Just finished The Book Thief. Note that this is not TLC-friendly, however good it was. The main sector of problematic content are many uses of Jesus' name as an exclamation, a couple handfuls of other swears, and a lot of crude name-calling.
I have to hand it to the author: he write almost poetically. He has a curious way of phrasing things and makes the oddest metaphors, but it speaks ideas with its own vividness. Which is what I'm largely blaming for having made me cry at the end.

Now to figure out what to read next....
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 am

Read Neil Gaiman's Stardust, which, while fun enough, is not TLC-friendly due to the inclusion of two adult scenes. I think the main thing I appreciated about it was that everything tied together somehow. No loose ends whatsoever that I noticed!

Anyway. Now I'm reading Boxen, which I acquired in Oxford and only read two short selections of at The Eagle and Child. :)
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 am

Boxen is now done (wow, CS Lewis and his brother had quite the vocabulary and scary idea of politics at quite a young age!). Moving on to The Most Reluctant Convert a biography of CS Lews.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 pm

JUST TODAY finished book 7 of the Michael Vey series!

AHHH
AMAZING IT WAS

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 am

The Most Reluctant Convert is recommended by yours truly if you ever want to have a timeline of Lewis' spiritual journey (and have glimpses of the ideas and people that show up later in his writings).

Moving on to a book about the friendship between Lewis and Tolkien. :)
knight and scribe

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”