What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

That's exactly my feeling on Edmund Bertram!

Currently (not that I'm very far into the book), Emma annoys me. Not in the way that Mr Collins or Lucy Steele does, because Emma is likeable. But she still annoys me, haha.

I'll let you know if the Diaries spark my interest. Currently, I'm wanting to finish reading all Austen and watch an adaptation of Mansfield Park.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Oohhhh gooood to know about Artemis Fowl. In which case, I'll get them asap hehe thanks a lot Tooky

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Finished Persuasion (thus far, I think it's my favourite Jane Austen book!). On to Mansfield Park.
Oh I loved Persuasion! (and Mansfield Parks as well!)
Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:Just finished Mansfield Park. The last few chapters had me quite suddenly sucked in in a way that the rest of the book hadn't! As for Edmund Bertram, I don't think I've loved such a flawed character this much since Woody from Toy Story. (To be clear, Fitzwilliam Darcy is more flawed and still dear to me, but he had to improve on me; Edmund Bertram from the start had my empathy throughout.)

Emma is destined to be my next Jane Austen reading, but I didn't act on my notification from the library, so I have to wait till tomorrow evening to pick it up.
In the meantime, I'll start on... *peruses shelf* Wolf Willow. A prof from my college gave it to me with a particular desire to share the experience with me, and yet I've already read the other books he gave me after the presentation of this one.
I love Edmund Bertram even if he act stupidly sometimes, he is good hearted and I always liked him for being kind to Fannie when she was young.
Lucy Took wrote:Congrats on making it through Mansfield Park, Ariel! It's the only Austen book that I've yet to manage to make it through, I just can't make myself care. :P However I did like the recent adaptation of it and it being about a 2-3 hour experience as opposed to a novel let me engage in it enough to know the storyline. Edmund Bertram is flawed, but he gets away with it by being a good person. He might not speak up nearly as much as he should (Which is what made it one of the least engaging of the books for me...) but he is at heart a good person.
Have you watched any of the adaptations Tooky? It was having watched the the 2007 itv1 version of Persausion that helped me get through it when I first read it. I do the spoilery thing and watch the movie first. :P (I do sympathize however as Persuasion and Mansfield Parks are the only two I've managed to read through.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 am

@Lil: Yeah, Edmund Bertram’s poor decisions were certainly not agreeable with me (especially as I did not agree with the person who wrote a foreword to the book, calling Fanny and Edmund “dull and constant” and the Crawfords “lively and appealing”: okay, Fanny and Edmund certainly weren’t as lively as the Crawfords, but both Crawfords left a horrid taste every time they showed up that I rarely ever thought them “appealing”). But as I was saying, though I viewed Edmund Bertram’s poor decisions as quite regrettable, I had a tendency to want to nudge him back in the right direction, as opposed to decreasing my favour for him.

I’m nearly through with Emma. Those who have expressed a liking of Emma Woodhouse will be pleased to know that she does not annoy me as she did at the beginning. Again, she has the benefit of having won my empathy (and, likely, the desire to downplay similar faults recognized in myself), even if I still think she meddles too much and has some unkind tendencies; but that rather was the point of her. (You were right, Tooky, in perceiving that I prefer my flawed characters cooked differently. :) )
I think I’d get along with George Knightly, were I to meet him in RL, but he’s not dethroned Edmund Bertram in my regard, sorry, Jaygee. ;)

I expect to finish Emma tomorrow. Northamger Abbey came in today, so we’ll see if I get a start on it tomorrow.

By the by, I know I still have a book and a bit to go, but my Jane Austen favourites so far are as follows:
- Book: Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion (repeated readings and reflection will determine which will win out
- Female lead: Elizabeth Bennett
- Male lead: Edmund Bertram
- Side character: Captain Benwick from Persuasion (Yes, this category was made with him in mind. I’m not sure why, but he’s one of those side characters that occasionally pop up and present themselves as being far more interesting to me than they were meant to be.)
- Role model female (since my favourite male is also of the role model variety): Jane Bennett
- Parent: Mr Bennett (Not a great man, to be sure; his first reason for being here is his highly entertaining dry humour (which isn’t really a great recommendation), though he has an advantage over other Austen fathers in being not dead, not a deadbeat, and not frightfully languid or puffed up with himself.)
knight and scribe
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes, Mr. Bennett is the best. "Am unhappy choice is before you, Lizzie. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will not see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will not see you again if you do." Literally one of the best quotes ever!
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 am

@Jaygee: I love that one!! Along with his lecture to Kitty about not being allowed to have a social life unless heavily monitored.
knight and scribe
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 pm

reading Miraculous movements: How hundreds of thousands of Muslims are falling in love with Jesus by Jerry Trousdale. It basically is a mixture of testimonies and reports of discipleship training. Very inspiring and educative. (All stories and reports are from Africa)
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm

@knight: that sounds like great reading!

Just finished Northanger Abbey and enjoyed it more than I expected to, based on my parents’ impression of an adaptation that played too much with the Gothic creepiness that lasted all of, what, three chapters? Henry Tilney is officially my second-favourite Austen hero. He’s like... like Edmund Bertram and Charles Bingley rolled into one, with an dash (or two or three) of sarcastic humour.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Finally finished Wolf Willow. If you want to know about the untamed Canadian frontier, this would be a good source but for the swearing, which is mainly confined to the dramatization of cowboys.

Aaaaand started The Maze Runner. (I won a prize from that reading contest and my choices were The Maze Runner series or three Nicholas Sparks books.)
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 pm

MMMAAAAAAZZZZEEE RUNNNER!!!!

Tell me how yuo like them, would you?! One of the best series in the WORLD!

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”