What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

cor
Knight

Re: What readest thou?

Post by cor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm

So I am not even half way through Enders Game and..........Hmmmmmmmmmm I am not entirely sure how to describe it. Like Ariel said it's interesting and I think that is the best word for it. It is mostly the language that disturbs me.
*is such a cocky shapechanger*
I am Kili to Gypse's Fili. And apparently to Alex's Legolas...
*is a Bore sitting on my Bor's head*
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:48 pm

*pokes in and makes a totally random subject change*

Anybody in here ever read The Count of Monte Cristo? I'm about halfway through it right now. :mrgreen:
Thank you, Hobbit!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:41 am

@cor: I know, it's disturbing to see what kinds of things those kids are saying and doing to each other. (Just a warning, in case no one has told you: Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide get kinda messy and not just with violence levels. Speaker for the Dead I know for sure is really, really heavy on philosophy.)

@Nia: sorry, no, I've never read it.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Cor!!!!! I just finished reading The Book Thief and watched the movie the other night. IT. IS. AMAZING. The only thing is that the book is really heavy on the language. The movie I think literally has one muttering of a bad word. So just watch out for the language in the book. But yes, I'm obsessed with The Book Thief right now. Oh, and be sure to bring like five tissue boxes when reading the book and seeing the movie. :roll:
cor
Knight

Post by cor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:31 pm

@Quil Yeah, I've seen the movie! I can't wait to read the book. We're getting it from our library and it's taking FOREVER getting here!!! I'll watch out for the language, thanks ;) Did you like the movie or the book better? Was the movie at all like the book? What changes did they make? I've only seen the movie and I'm already really into it. I really want to read the booooooooook!
Have you seen or read "The Boy in Striped Pajamas"?

@Ariel Oooooooooooooooooookay! I am not sure if I will continue reading the series but if I do I will probably wait till I am older. :P I put down the book and I need to get back to it but I am not entirely sure if I want to! I am soooooooooooooo glad with the changes they made to the movie *chuckle* I was like "WOAH! Glad they didn't put that in a movie! I would NOT have been aloud to watch it if they had!"
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:33 am

@cor: yeah,they cleaned it up amazingly for the movie, which I really appreciated! If I understand correctly, "Ender's Shadow" is more like "Ender's Game" insofar as content and readership goes (but I haven't read it, so I'm not perfectly sure). The other three are definitely less friendly.
knight and scribe
cor
Knight

Post by cor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:54 am

@Ariel Got it! Thanks for the advice!!!
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:42 am

@Ariel: I'm in love with your sig.
@cor: Oh you saw the movie!!! Awesome!! Ooh, tough call on whether I liked the movie or book better. Something about the feel of the book was special and unique, but the movie captured that pretty well. I'm gonna have to say I like both the same. ;) But yeah, the movie followed the book very well. There were a few minor changes here and there, which you'll see when you read the book. One of the bigger changes I think was that you know in the movie where Hans stands up for the Jewish man? In the book it was when all the Jewish people were coming through the streets and Hans gave him a piece of bread. I think that was the biggest change...if I'm remembering correctly. But it didn't really bother me or anything.
Oh, I feel you about the library wait. Can't tell you how many long waits I've suffered for books. :roll:
I have not seen/read The Boy in Striped Pajamas. I've seen the title on Netflix though, so I know what you're talking about. Is it good?
Has anyone read/seen Divergent?
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 am

@QJ: thanks! :D
I'm afraid I don't even have info from a review regarding "Boy in the Striped Pajamas", but I think it's somewhere on my list of things to watch.
As for Divergent, that doesn't make my list anywhere, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Though, from a couple sources, it would seem that they're not that great (especially the movies).
knight and scribe
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 am

I've read Divergent and I have to say that I didn't particularly like it. I thought the concept was fairly interesting and could have gone really far, but I was really put off by the grammar (or lack thereof) and the love triangle.

I'm currently reading The Tale of Despereaux (and thoroughly enjoying it), and then I plan to read The Princess Bride.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”