What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Lucy Took
Site Admin

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Lucy Took » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:22 pm

I finished reading the Stormlight Archives (Well, the ones that have been published so far) by Brandon Sanderson on Kristi's recommendation. I highly recommend it for older teens/adults. There's nothing really graphic in them at all, but there are some really heavy themes around war and violence.

I also caught up on the Ranger's Apprentice up to the Lost Tales, now I just need to get around to reading the new Royal Ranger ones, though it might be awhile before I get to doing that.

I started the Audiobook of "As You Wish", the story of how the Princess Bride was turned into a film, read by Westley. So far it's quite entertaining.

As a library student I have a crazy large amount of review copies to go through that I got for free (My university has a publication where they review YA and Children's books so they get a copy of pretty much everything Children and YA from the big publishing houses. Once they've written the review they set them out for us students to have for free. I have about 20 now.) So if anyone wants to know what I'm discovering in YA fantasy and romance (Not really my genera, but it's my sister's genera.) that may or may not be up to our community guidelines, feel free to PM me. It'll help me actually get around to reading the first couple of chapters :P .

Oh, and despite mostly grabbing YA I got this book because it was cute:

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Luthien
Knight

Post by Luthien » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 am

I have read the first two books in The Stormlight Archive as well, but have not yet started the third.

But talking about books by Brandon Sanderson, I finished reading one of his new ones, Skyward, about a week ago. Its premise is of a girl, Spensa, who really wants to be a pilot and help defend her home from aliens, but because her father turned coward in a battle and tried to run away before being shot down, she is considered the daughter of a coward and unfit to be a pilot. The story references Beowulf a lot, as it is the main character's favorite story. The society is somewhat like Beowulf in that family reputations are important for how an individual is interpreted and that it is the story of a society that knows it is less advanced (in technology and general knowledge) than their ancestors were, which are two concepts I was considering writing a story about myself. Reading Skyward made me decide to reread Beowulf as well, and there are some interesting differences (Spensa is considered a coward, Beowulf was considered a hero; Spensa has a tendency to make threats of what she will do, Beowulf had a tendency to make boasts about what he already did). Personally I thought it was worth the read.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 pm

@Luthien: Ooh, Beowulf is actually one of my favorite stories! :D So now I'm curious about Skyward...I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it...
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Luthien
Knight

Post by Luthien » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 am

If you do get a chance to read it, please let me know what you think.
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm

*dashes into hug Luthien* I haven't read anything too recently but before I got wrapped up in moving I was reading "The Maiden's Bequest" by George MacDonald
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I read the first of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn looking forward to reading the others.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
EveningStar
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by EveningStar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 am

Been busy developing my apologetics. N.T. Wright, C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton. In other words God Guys with Two Initials.
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Cool! Chesterton is my second favourite author after Lewis. I don't think I've read anything by N. T. Wright yet.

I recently finished At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie, and a SpiderGwen comic (because her costume is so cool), and I'm currently listening to the Fellowship of the Ring, and am beginning Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope. Haven't really gotten into yet, but the author is recommended by a friend. Oh and I'm also listening to Heretics by Chesterton :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 am

Been reading war books lately. One fiction, the others non.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Swanwhite
Site Admin

Post by Swanwhite » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Which wars?

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”