What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 am

Started “Our Man in Tehran”, a non-fiction book about the Canadian ambassador during the Tehran hostage incident in the 1970s.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
HermitoftheNorthernMarch
ROotL

Post by HermitoftheNorthernMarch » Thu May 10, 2018 8:14 pm

I read A Series of Unfortunate Events Book One. Overall, it is not as dismal as implied by the marketing or the tv show. The books are on the 3-5th grade level, but introduce bigger words through the narration defining them. In this book, the orphans are sent to live with their closest relative (geographic closest relative, that is). It turns out their relative lives in a decrepit house and is scheming to find a way to steal their fortune from them. I enjoyed the irony in it and I was happily surprised that my reasons for not trying to read the books as a child were unfounded.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well." - John 14:6-7a
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 am

I've been rereading my favorite webcomic (actually it's the only one I've ever read, but even if I read others this one would probably still be my favorite) and I'm realizing that my art skills aren't anywhere near where they should be because seriously...this comic is amazing. :lol: Not just the art, but the characters...the storyline...the premise...the fact that it's barely a third of the way to the end yet...
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 am

Finished “Our Man in Tehran” last week. Now on “The Martian”, but I have to say that there’s more swearing in this book than I thought there’d be.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Ooookay. The Martian. Interesting read and I enjoyed it, but it is not TLC-recommended reading. The swearing is at R-rated levels for volume (plus a couple verbal allusions of adult content). I didn’t count, but there might have been more f-bombs than in American Sniper, and that had about forty.
I plan on reading (or skimming) through it again, but this time, I’ll be armed with white-out tape and a pen.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 am

Started the Fellowship of the Ring again.
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 am

Forgot to come in and mention that in the last couple months, I read Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Arthur (Tolkien), Unashamed (Francine Rivers novella about Rahab (yes, mentions of Rahab’s way of life, though dealt with tastefully), and am currently halfway through FotR. I’d quite forgotten how heroic Frodo can be and exactly how fortunate he is to have the friends that he does. And yes, I’m fangirling over Aragorn all over again because Aragorn equals epicness.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 am

Just finished “I, Saul” by Jerry B Jenkins and James S MacDonald. Good read, mixing a modern suspense story with Biblical fiction.

And I’ve recently read “The Prince Warriors” series by Priscilla Shirer and Gina Detwiler. Ephesians 6 meets Wizard of Oz, more or less. If you’re into analyzing writing quality, you might want to avoid these (except as examples of what not to do), ‘cause books one and three are lacking in artistry (two and four were better). The messages are fine, but the art could have used some help and the balance between message and story could have been better struck.
knight and scribe
Lil
Site Admin

Post by Lil » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 am
Just finished “I, Saul” by Jerry B Jenkins and James S MacDonald. Good read, mixing a modern suspense story with Biblical fiction.

And I’ve recently read “The Prince Warriors” series by Priscilla Shirer and Gina Detwiler. Ephesians 6 meets Wizard of Oz, more or less. If you’re into analyzing writing quality, you might want to avoid these (except as examples of what not to do), ‘cause books one and three are lacking in artistry (two and four were better). The messages are fine, but the art could have used some help and the balance between message and story could have been better struck.
Ariel? can you message me about them? cause I need to know what the whole "ent" thing she was doing there was. .oO(It's the word 'Ent' also trademarked by Tolkien??)
Avvie by Siberian Christmas. Signature by Ariel of Narnia

"Maybe Redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here." - Dare You to Move (Switchfoot.)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Last night, I finished “The Wormling” series by Jerry B Jenkins and Chris Fabry. Book one kinda feels like the pilot episode of a tv show, but after that, the series only gets more exciting. It’s an allegorical fantasy, though I do have to point out that not everything is a direct relation to how things are in reality and that there’s some amount of mixed imagery, but it’s still a good 10-14 read. The violence, particularly in book five, may not be great for sensitive young readers, so a warning there.
knight and scribe

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”