What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

jasmine_tarkheena
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Re: What readest thou?

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 am

A couple of years ago, I've read a series of books, Anne of Green Gables. I've actually watched the movie trilogy produced by Sullivan before reading the series. If I remember correctly, I think the second movie was a combination of Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, and Anne of Windy Poplars. I've also watched the animated series on PBS when I was a kid. After reading the series, I've discovered that they were different than the movies.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:39 am

I grew up watching and loving the Sullivan Anne of Green Gables and its sequel. Personally, I prefer them to the books (but that may change with personal maturation, I don’t know). Not a fan of the third one though.

I’ve ended up coming across a biography of Winston Churchill’s mom and have read through most of it. (I’ve skipped parts not relevant to the sort of information I’m looking for). Certainly didn’t expect to have learned as much as I have about her, mainly because I hadn’t realized there was so much there.
Also working through Robert Louis Stevenson’s New Arabian Nights in stages. Rather liking this collection of stories. Maybe I’ll have to revisit Treasure Island, now that I seem to enjoy his writing style.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jasmine_tarkheena

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 am

Ariel.of.Narnia wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:39 am
I grew up watching and loving the Sullivan Anne of Green Gables and its sequel. Personally, I prefer them to the books (but that may change with personal maturation, I don’t know). Not a fan of the third one though.

I've enjoyed all three of the movies. Though I'll admit that the third one had little to nothing to do with the other two, kind of like Walden's Voyage of the Dawn Treader had little to nothing to do with the first two Narnia films. And much like Narnia, I hope to see an adaption of all the Anne of Green Gables books on screen eventually.
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:23 am

Read the Thrawn Ascendancy trilogie (which is his origin story among the Chiss.) It is intresting reading about a guy who is a bad guy (by the time of rebels or even the now legends original thrawn trilogie books) who is potrayed in a rather positive light. Prehapes because he isn't a bad guy yet.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:32 am

Reading a book that I think only exists in a foreign language "Margarcane"
NarnianAtHeart

Post by NarnianAtHeart » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:43 am

I'm reading a book in Latin. Very hard to understand!
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage....."
-C.S. Lewis
knightofnarnia
Knight

Post by knightofnarnia » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Latin??? What exactly if it isn't a secreate?
renegadeoftheshire
Novice: Staying with the Beavers

Post by renegadeoftheshire » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Is it crazy that I haven't touched Anne of Green Gables? Maybe I should get to those lol :P
art by an online friend!
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:15 pm

Just finished some lovely poetry. An anthology of young or recently-published folks. Some of it wasn't very TLC-able so I won't name it here but I enjoyed thoroughly and was grateful to the friend who pointed me that direction.
miss_enigma
Newbie: Looking into Wardrobes

Post by miss_enigma » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Recently I picked up "The Left-handed Booksellers of London" and devoured it in a mere 3 days - a feat that I had not achieved in quite some years. Now I'm looking for other books by Garth Nix to read, since the writing really attracted me.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”