What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Eva of Cair Paravel
Knight

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Eva of Cair Paravel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 am

As a great lover of C. S. Lewis' books, I've read many of his works, and I think I enjoyed Til We Have Faces the best (and of course Narnia ;) ), but never dared start his Space Trilogy, because it was so long. Is it good though?
narniagirl11 wrote:Well, I don't really keep up on what is popular in teen fiction, but some of my friends do, and my one friend specifically was pestering me to read the 'Divergent' trilogy. I finally did. It was pretty good, aside from one scene in the first book that did not need to be in there, or did not need as much description as there was. The writing style was good, but was a little lacking. The third book especially was poorly written. I didn't get bored with the story, but I got bored with the main character repeatedly making the same stupid choices over and over. I wanted the story to follow her boyfriend or her brother. They were much more interesting characters.
I agree that there was a part in the first book that wasn't too important to be there, but I especcially liked the last book, it effected me really inspirationally, and I think it was good, because the main character made bad choices sometimes - because that made her real, since we all make mistakes. But oh well, I'm a fan, so I guess I could talk... :P
A Daughter of Eve and Knight of TLC
Isaiah 41:10
"I'll be your family now." - Divergent
"You do count." - BBC Sherlock
"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful." - Doctor Who
Esprit
Knight

Post by Esprit » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 pm

@Eva: The Space Trilogy is very good. And if you read it book by book, it's not much longer than Til We Have Faces, I believe.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ―Victor Hugo
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:07 pm

The Space Trilogy is amazingness! And the individual books aren't that long. Certainly shorter than the books of the LotR trilogy.

So I read more of my Boxen book today. Finished that play, read the "history" of the land, started on Boxen itself. :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Oooooohhhhhh, I love the Space Trilogy! I read it three times in the first month. :roll: And I've read "Screwtape Letters" half a dozen times.
I also love Beowulf and King Arthur. I had to read them in my 5th and 6th grade literature class and got hooked. Oh, and Sherlock Holmes! *dies* I just got allowed to read it this past Spring and oh, I love it! And I am hoping to read "Til We Have Faces" soon.
I like books. A lot.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Really, Hobbit? I had no idea you like books! :P
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 pm

@Hobbit: Most of us do. :D
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Right now I'm reading Passages by Paul McCusker. I'm almost done with the first book. From the first page the story just really grabbed me and I was so pulled into the story that it didn't even feel like I was reading. It felt like a movie and the characters are believable. The plot is very good. It's a lot like Narnia so that adds to my enjoyment. :D
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Passages! Ariel and I, at least, love those books!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Wow, and here I thought I replied to this! Must have closed the tab by accident and then forgotten?

Anyway, yes, as Jaygee said, we love Passages! I don't remember how much she likes 'em (probably a lot, lol), but they're my #2 favourite fiction series after Narnia. Darien's Rise is my favourite of the six (my order of favourites is thus: 1, 4, 5, 6, 3, 2). :D The friend that got me into Passages is the same one that got me into Narnia a couple years prior. The two of us joked that they (but mostly the Narnia one) are her greatest mistakes in life (of course, not true, but I drove her nuts with my love for both... but mainly Narnia :D ).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
jesusgirl4ever

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm

They're one of my favorites, but probably my... um... 4th or 5th. Still, I love them! My order of favorites is 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 2.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”