What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

knightofnarnia
Knight

Re: What readest thou?

Post by knightofnarnia » Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 pm

Alright started Cytonic by Branderson and it is good. If someone finished it no spoilers please.
And whoever will be chief shall be servant of all (Mark 10:44 my version)
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sun May 29, 2022 3:54 am

A friend gave me the first book in the Murderbot series because she said the main character reminded her of me, so I'm looking forward to reading that.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun May 29, 2022 1:31 pm

I read Fahrenheit 451 yesterday (warning for language, particularly abuses of God’s name). The book is over half a century old and yet it doesn’t feel it because it feels like the near future.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:23 pm

Finished The Boy Who Lost Fairyland. Most of it was really lovely (if at times intensely bittersweet) for me, the wrap-up left me feeling kind of confused and wondering if it had been too long since I read other books in the series and I had forgotten something.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:15 am

I read A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Laconte over the last three days. I’d expected a sort of broad biography of Lewis and Tolkien with an emphasis on their war experience, but found that there was more to it than that. The ideologies both preceding and following the war were included, because that set the stage for the state of society that both men then had to wrestle with before they penned the tales for which they’re best known.

Recently also read George Orwell’s Animal Farm and another book I won’t name because of content issues.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 am

Never expected to read anything "gothic" or "horror" before, but I've recently completed Jekyll & Hyde and Frankenstein. Neither are "horror" in the way the genre is nowadays, and both pose moral/philosophical questions about man and his nature. I've grown to like that sort of storytelling and can enjoy (as much as one can) bummer stories that have a point for it, but acknowledge it's not everybody's cup of tea.
knight and scribe
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:43 am

...Some horror still poses philosophical questions, although even those pieces can be rather messy these days.

I still haven't read Jekyll, but I did enjoy Frankenstein. Both the philosophical angle, and the richness of the language.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:32 pm

Rich! That’s a good way to describe the writing! It was that as much as it was emotive.
knight and scribe
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:34 am

I recently finished a Christian cozy mystery the by title of Brought to Book. There was much eye-rolling and sighing on my part as the character meanders through too many too-obvious thematic threads (with low payoff, might I add) to pad out the story's runtime. I only forced myself through because it had been a gift from a friend. Hopefully I learn from the mistakes made by the author and don't repeat them myself 'cause that's all I got out of it....
Currently partway into Robert Louis Stevenson's The Merry Men, which has nothing to do with Robin Hood, but has held my interest enough thus far.
knight and scribe
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:27 am

I have finished some of my previously listed books and added:

A poetry book focused on imperial China with... good writing but a lot of looking at messy human behavior.

A middle-grade dystopian fiction, interesting and thoughtful although with the usual darkness expected of the genre.

A Supergirl comic.

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”