What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

jesusgirl4ever

Re: What readest thou?

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm

So are these knights on a quest together, or is it more like a set of short stories featuring different characters?
They're on different quests. They overlap a bit, though. Especially 3 & 4. My fave of the Knights series is Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue.

I'm reading book 1 in The Berefeill Prophecies series by Wayne Thomas Batson. It's really cool. ;)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
aslie
ROotL

Post by aslie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Benisse wrote:Hi Aslie,
Sounds interesting. So are these knights on a quest together, or is it more like a set of short stories featuring different characters? Is this series similar to the allegorical Tower of Geburah novels?
The books themselves have about 20 to 24 chapters and it is usually about two knights working together. Sir Kendrick is accompanied by Sir Duncan working together to complete a mission. The book was awesome as always. These books are all about two knights working together to complete missions while sharing the story of Jesus (The Prince in the stories) to all the people they come in contact with while they work through problems like Pride, Selfishness, Foolishness, doubt, and other things that we struggle with. This series presents problems like Doubt, (Sir Dalton and Lord Drox book deals with Doubt) or Pride (Sir Kendrick and Bel Lione dealt with this) as Strong Holds in the land where powerful Shadow Warriors disguised as lords are in control over a part of the Kingdom. The knights are sent on missions by the Counsel of Knights to learn what is going on in that part of the Kingdom and to see what it will take to defeat that Castle. These Knights of the Prince have to deal with Vincero Knights which are knights that are doing the bidding and work of Lucius and his shadow warriors.I don't think it is like Geburah. Most of these characters carry over to the next books as either minor charters or even major ones. The books are very well written, the plots aren't boring or dry or old. They are awesome. Even though they are technically for teens/preteen age they still are compelling and are great for any age.
29:13:וּבִקַּשְׁתֶּם אֹתִי וּמְצָאתֶם כִּי תִדְרְשֻׁנִי בְּכָל־לְבַבְכֶֽם
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jerm. 29:13
miniver
ROotL

Post by miniver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 am

Paulsen's a very interesting writer, very spare but eloquent, kind of like a modern Jack London in that he writes survival stories generally set in some sort of wilderness. He also wrote two amazing historical novels about the Civil War era, Nightjohn and Sarny. Nightjohn tells about an escaped slave who returns regularly to teach slaves to read. Sarny takes place after emancipation. As with his other novels, they're intense (I agree with the description "not for the faint of heart"), but are of superior quality.

I highly recommend Puck of Pook's Hill and also its sequel, Rewards and Fairies. These two marvelous books of chapters that are each a self-contained story, are part fantasy and part history. They are Kipling's paean to England, as Kim and other books are his love song to India. Kipling was so evocative that Rosemary Sutcliff cited the segment set along Hadrian's Wall in Roman times as an early inspiration for her to study and write about that era in her wonderful novels. I think Steward joins me in enjoying the Puck books; I seem to remember his quoting one of the poems that introduce the chapters here on the Forum.
aslie
ROotL

Post by aslie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 am

jesusgirl4ever wrote:
So are these knights on a quest together, or is it more like a set of short stories featuring different characters?
They're on different quests. They overlap a bit, though. Especially 3 & 4. My fave of the Knights series is Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue.

I'm reading book 1 in The Berefeill Prophecies series by Wayne Thomas Batson. It's really cool. ;)

I just finished Lady Carliss for the second time. I love that one but I really like Sir Dalton as well.
29:13:וּבִקַּשְׁתֶּם אֹתִי וּמְצָאתֶם כִּי תִדְרְשֻׁנִי בְּכָל־לְבַבְכֶֽם
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jerm. 29:13
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Currently, I've just finished reading The Hunger Games because all of my friends have been pestering me about it for so long, and I'm sure I drive them crazy talking about Narnia and LotR and The Hobbit, so I finally gave in. I read all three of the books within three days, so that says something about the suspense and drive. There were some things that I definitely liked, and some other parts that were totally weird or creepy. The result of me reading them = my opinion that Narnia, LotR and the Hobbit are better were confirmed, and my sister now makes lame bread jokes about Peeta. Her favorite: Gale: Katniss, I want you! Peeta: I knead you!

I am also nearly through The Hobbit for the second or third time.

All of my other reading time is filled up with Narnia fanfictions or school books.
Last edited by narniagirl11 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm

I've recently been listening to my favorite audiobook--a dramatic reading of Once On a Time, by A. A. Milne. I've been listening to it as I fall asleep too, actually. :)

And does it count that the other thing I've been "reading" is a pdf showing microscopic views of various fiber types? I've been reading it too, but more just looking at the pictures :P
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, I'm re-reading the Lord of the Rings, quite slowly, and reading all the poetry around this time :)
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Tolkien was a poetic genius. I love poems with a rhythm to them, especially because that's something I've never managed to do in my own poems. Plus, his poems sound great to music. 8-)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:37 am

Tenethia wrote:Well, I'm re-reading the Lord of the Rings, quite slowly, and reading all the poetry around this time :)
WHAT?! You skipped the poems? That's cheating! ;) (says the girl who only read through the entire book from start to finish this year although she's been reading it since 1999 - but that's another story and had nothing to do with the poems)

I totally agree Ariel. I think Tolkien is one of the most under-recognised poets of the 20th C. Have you read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil?
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:47 am

Have you read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil?
If that question is being directed at me like I assume it is, no, I haven't. I've only read LotR, TH, The Silmarillion, and Children of Hurin thus far.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”