What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Re: What readest thou?

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:35 am

Huh! I have been a little bit curious about that one. Glad to hear you enjoyed.

I have been reading more poetry - a reread of a book by a local author - and a comic book, and a nonfiction about art and pain, and I just started The Midnight Library, among other things.
miss_enigma
Newbie: Looking into Wardrobes

Post by miss_enigma » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm

Oh, that title "the midnight library" really sparked my interest, what is it about?
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:59 pm

I'm still getting into it, but I know it's about kind of a magical library that includes other versions of the reader's life? And it's supposed to have a mix of different genres of story, depending on which book the main character is reading herself into.

It is adult fiction so there may be some heavier topics dealt with in it, but it definitely seemed like a premise I wanted to give a shot.
miss_enigma
Newbie: Looking into Wardrobes

Post by miss_enigma » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 am

It sounds fascinating indeed! I'd love to hear your thoughts when you progress throughout the book c: (Maybe I've finally found something to put on my birthday wish-list then xD)
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:24 am

Good writing so far, but content warnings for a bit of language and a very frankly presented mental health crisis. We're in the library finally so I should be able to start exploring the fun parts. :)
jasmine_tarkheena
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by jasmine_tarkheena » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm

A few years back, I've read a book called The Peasant Prince. It is a book about Thaddeus Kosciuszko, a man from Poland who came to America and fought in the American Revolution. It is actually a really gripping book and it's tear-jerking. I've actually cried when I read it.

I've also read 1776, which is a book about the American Revolution, focusing on the events of 1775 and 1776. It's really insightful as well.

If you are a history lover like I am, then I would recommend 1776 and The Peasant Prince.
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:05 am

I finished 80 books this past year. ^_^
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:53 pm

Nicely done, Lily. I’ve done more reading last year than I had in the previous three combined, but not that many!

Yesterday I finished The Napoleon of Crime, which is a biography of Adam Worth, a man who was declared dead during the Civil War and then went on to live a life of thievery and Victorian lavishness. He is the real-life inspiration for Arther Conan Doyle’s character of Moriarty.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:19 pm

Some of mine were really little ones, but they still count. ;)

And oo, that sounds interesting!
Lily of Archenland
ROotL

Post by Lily of Archenland » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 am

Three books down so far this year. :)

I have read:
-a romance/mystery graphic novel about magical creatures
-a YA fantasy about political intrigue and lost history and superpowers and a scheming failed queen's naive and well-intentioned daughter
-a picture book about a mother shrew on a quest to the moon to find something that can heal her son

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”