What readest thou?

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: What readest thou?

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 am

I accidentally saw the R version of that movie. I was kind of shocked. :lol: I didn't know it was based off a book, though. That's pretty cool.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 am

The book that I'm reading came out after the film, so, no, not based on that particular book. From what I understand, though, the elements seen in the film came from a number of biographies and letters and other personal paraphernalia, etc..
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
anunknownpevensie
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by anunknownpevensie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 pm

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles are a MUST. As good as Middle Earth and Narnia, but in a different way. Very classic writing. High quality stories.

Also going through the Percy Jackson related series. Like Heros of Olympus, Gods of Asgard, Kane Chronicles, Trials of Apollo. If you don't mind cheap, exciting, and very funny writing and LOTS of mythology, you might like them all.

Looking to work at a bookstore, so as to have more chance to strengthen my collection of books with some Swallows and Amazons and Ranger's Apprentice.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:46 am

Been forever since I've posted ... :) But just finished "Gathering Blue," the second book in The Giver Quartet. Anybody else read these? I'm gonna begin the third book, "Messenger," next.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 am

The Giver... isn't there a movie based on that? That's seriously as far as my knowledge goes, heh-heh.

Decided I wanted to re-read the Passages series by Paul McCusker again, so I started Darien's Rise today.
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 am

Hello Shi. :)

Okay i actually have prospect of working at a bookstore..... idk really any specs though.
the Beyonders series by Brandon Mull are a very gooood read. Yes, magic, I warn. Lots of a.... unique magic as well. The stories have a lot of great characters and morals. And it has a homeschooler as one of the main characters.

And if you want me to respond to anything, you will have to quote me I am afraid.
ShiofNarnia
Knight

Post by ShiofNarnia » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Hullo! :) @anunknownpevensie

@Ariel Yes they made a film a couple years ago and Jeff Bridges plays "The Giver." The books are very interesting. I'm on the third one now.
Lady Shi, Royal Photographer and Otter Keeper
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 am

Since Friday was Hobbit Day, I decided I'd read TH since it's been at least a couple years. Just finished. And am thoroughly shocked to (re-)learn that Fili is the youngest (I assume Tolkien changed this later?), Bofur and Bombur are brothers and Bifur is their cousin (what?!), and that it was Dori who gave Bilbo a piggy-back in the goblin tunnels (for some reason, I thought it was Balin).
knight and scribe
anunknownpevensie

Post by anunknownpevensie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Oh yes. :) Fun.
Minute details I wouldn't have remembered. That is good to know. :P

So I am looking for something good to plunge my nose into this fall.
A good exciting active but emotionally connecting series. Or more than one. Any suggestions?

Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:18 am

On impulse I started and then finished a Melanie Dickerson book, The Princess Spy. It got more mushy in the romance department as it went on (also, those characters pick some seriously bad moments to think about how close the other person's lips are... when you're 10 feet away from a guy who would kill you if he knew you were there, your top priority should be the preservation of your life), but the story itself was interesting enough that I wasn't willing to put it down to go to bed. Warning for definitely alluded-to adult content though.
knight and scribe

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”