Laura Ingalls Wilder

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Benisse
Site Admin

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Post by Benisse » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:58 am

I don't know how I missed them, but I never read any of the Little House series when I was growing up. Now my daughter and I are sharing them as we drive around, working our way through the Little House audiobooks and I don't know who enjoys them more between the two of us. I love the way Laura Ingalls Wilder can use such simple words to create such vivid descriptions. I love Ma's gentle and quiet spirit, but when there is crisis she springs into action and can fight off an attack of flaming tumbleweed with the best of them!

Are there any other Little House fans out there? Favorite scenes, books or characters? What do you wish Wilder had covered that is not included in the book series?
Xin Yesu, Xiang Yesu - Believe Jesus, Be like Jesus
LWW art in my avvy and siggy by my daughter
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't really read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books anymore, but I used to read the series a couple times a year. Farmer Boy was my favorite book because it had a lot of horses in it. :P I must have read it at least eight times. :roll: It's been a year or two since I read them; maybe it's time I went through them again.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:19 am

It's been years since I've read them. :oops: But they're still on my bookshelf!
I think "Farmer Boy" was also my favourite because... boy character, farming, horses, food.... Though I also seem to remember liking "Little Town on the Prairie" and "These Happy Golden Years".
My parents and I went through a phase of exploring the generations of "Little House", so we also read the books covering Laura's great-grandma, grandma, mom, and daughter (though we stopped partway through these because we didn't like Rose anymore as she grew up).
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Eva of Cair Paravel
Knight

Post by Eva of Cair Paravel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

It's a family thing here. :D My parents started watching the series made based on the book, and I watched some parts too as a little kid, then as I grew older I watched the whole series, and as a bookworm, went on to reading the books. :) I really liked them, though I was a bit sad that Laura didn't continue writing, and that the last book, The First Four Years wasn't really finished - as I heard it was found as a draft after her death. But my favourite part was By the Shores of Silver Lake, and The Long Winter. :)
A Daughter of Eve and Knight of TLC
Isaiah 41:10
"I'll be your family now." - Divergent
"You do count." - BBC Sherlock
"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful." - Doctor Who
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:44 pm

My whole childhood reading list consisted of the historical American Girl books, Little House on the Prairie, Narnia, and Nancy Drew. That's pretty much all I read. I loved the Little House books. My dad first read them to me and my sister when we where quite young. Then I read them for myself, watched hundreds of episodes of the tv show, saw the Disney movie version of it, read them again, and then read all the extended stories (grandma, mom, etc.) I haven't read them in years though, but my little sister and my mom just started going through them together, so I've been hearing bits and pieces.

My favorite scene (that I can remember) is where Laura has a party at their house when they live by the river, and all the kids go swimming in the swimming hole, and Nellie Olson gets leaches on her!
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:44 am

Disney made a Little House movie? :shock:

Funny you mention that scene because I was recalling it a few days ago!
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
narniagirl11
Knight

Post by narniagirl11 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 am

I don't know that Disney "made" it, but it's distributed by them. It was made in 2005. Actress Erin Cottrell (Missy, in the Love Comes Softly movie series) plays Ma. It's less of a movie, and more of a six? episode tv series. I forget how many "episodes" there are.
~~Throne Warden of Anniera~~
Thank you, Ela, for the wonderful set!
cor
Knight

Post by cor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:41 am

Oh yeah, Arna, That's a TV series. That is my favorite version. I watch it when I'm bored. :P
*is such a cocky shapechanger*
I am Kili to Gypse's Fili. And apparently to Alex's Legolas...
*is a Bore sitting on my Bor's head*
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 pm

I was such a fan of the TV series when I was a child and teen.

I only read (most, not all) of the book series when I was older.

Did you know her daughter Rose Wilder Lane was a Libertarian?

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”