*whispers* Shakespeare

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

jesusgirl4ever

Re: *whispers* Shakespeare

Post by jesusgirl4ever » Mon May 04, 2015 1:17 am

I had to read Romeo and Juliet for school... it was interesting, though I do think I'll never make a hasty decision again. Didn't work out too well for them. ;)
Lady Jaygee, Royal Pianist and Lover of Cats, Knight of TLC
narniac101
Contributor

Post by narniac101 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:26 am

Right, Jaygee! :) See? Treebeard was right all along ;) Don't be hasty!... and never read it. Hope I don't have to, to be honest. :P
Thank you, Hobbit!
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:33 pm

None for As You Like It and the comedies?

I actually enjoyed Romeo and Juliet - except for the very tragic end.

Noted that Juliet was fourteen but could have married at twelve?

That did not change in the Catholic Church or in Spain (and I think some States of US) up to last century. For boys it was fourteen.

Note that Romeo and Juliet could marry secretly, just before Father what's-his-name, the Franciscan friar?

That DID change at council of Trent. Matrimonial witnesses and usually priest are a must.

Verona also has the same flag as Sweden and as Toulon : gold cross on blue.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:00 am

@hansgeorg: Does "A Winter's Tale" count? It's half-tragedy, half-comedy. ;) I read that one in college and quite enjoyed it.
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
Ajnos
Site Admin

Post by Ajnos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 am

In school, I had to read Romeo and Juliet, Othello and The Tempest. I was kinda chuffed that we got to read The Tempest in Grade 12, because they usually set depressing tragedies. I was too young at the time to appreciate Shakespeare properly though, I think I'd enjoy it better now. Most people don't like Prospero because he's manipulative of the whole storyline, but I was quite impressed by his ability at the end to give up his magic abilities. I think because of the fantasy works I'm used to reading, where the corruptive nature of magic is often emphasised (e.g. the power of the ring), I always saw his laying aside his power as a show of great character (like Faramir in Rings) :P

Incidentally, I did The Tempest again at second year at university (which was interesting, since it was taught quite differently on the two occasions).
Thank you for the set Happy!!

Born a Daughter of Eve; Now a Daughter of the Second Adam
hansgeorg
Fanatic: At the broken stone table

Post by hansgeorg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Ariel, I think it counts, but what you say explains why I felt it was a bit too sad for a Shakespear comedy proper. I might make a second try at it.

Ajnos, I read the Tempest more than once. As for Othello, well, I tried to read both Othello and The Merry Wives of Windsor after seeing the corresponding Verdi Operas. Which I liked better than the original. I think Verdi did better with these than Peter Jackson with LotR.
Ariel.of.Narnia
Site Admin

Post by Ariel.of.Narnia » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:29 am

Well, even with the happy ending of "A Winter's Tale", I felt it was still a bit bittersweet. So yeah, there's a higher concentration of sadness for sure. :)
knight and scribe
lyrics from TobyMac's "New World"
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am

I read the beginning of A Midsummer Night's Dream forever ago, but I have so much reading for school I haven't had time to continue. My favorite part so far has been when Hermia's dad was all, "Demetrius, you are the only one I'll allow my daughter to marry cuz you're cool and stuff," and then he leaves and Lysander's just like, "Yo, Demetrius, Hermia's dad likes you so much...how 'bout I marry Hermia and you can marry her dad? *probably moonwalks out or some other coolness*" I seriously love the amount of sass in Shakespeare.

Other than that, I've only read the Lamb's and a couple other children's version of the plays. Although I don't suppose I'll have to feel that guilty about it until I start high school. :P
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:13 am

Berry, can I just say that I love your summary and can you please do some more :)

I saw The Tempest performed over the summer and really liked it - probably because it was more fantastical than most Shakespeare plays (bearing in mind that I haven't read/seen A Midsummer Night's Dream at all).
*can't remember character names*
The version I saw genderswapped Prospero and Ariel. I had no idea they were initially guys?? I thought it was kinda more fitting that the two characters who terrorize everyone and control elements were female, given the generalization that women are more devious and crafty than men.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
albero1
Knight
Location: SCREAMING because 21 Pilots just released a new song! *victory dance*

Post by albero1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

@Shield: More summaries are in Original Works. :mrgreen:
Lady Albero, Royal Vocalist and Scrivener of Fanfictions, Knight of TLC
Lyrics from House of Gold by Twenty One Pilots

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”