*whispers* Shakespeare

A place to discuss what you're reading, your favourite authors and books etc. Everything from the Classics to Shakespeare and Non-Narnian Fantasy works.

Moderators: Ariel.of.Narnia, Tenethia, White Rose

Shield Maiden
Knight

*whispers* Shakespeare

Post by Shield Maiden » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 am

So. Thoughts. Theories. Characters that you really like. And whatnot.

I read Macbeth this year for school and REALLY enjoyed it - and I think part of that was because Lewis and Tolkien both used elements from the play in their writing, and it was interesting to note those parts in the play itself. For my final exam I wrote an essay on Macbeth's character development (which I might post here later, depending) - and gosh I just really love analyzing Shakespeare and seeing how he weaved puns and commentary and plot and character development and STILL KEPT IT IN IAMBIC PENTAMETER which is crazy insane and I want to see what you guys think about his stuff too.
Team Cap. Sig made by Ariel.
Tenethia
Site Admin

Re: *whispers* Shakespeare

Post by Tenethia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Ooooh, ooh, I'm reading Julius Caesar! I love the part where Brutus and Cassius are talking and Cassius says someone is a noble warrior and Brutus replies, "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah, so's my horse."

Also, Antony's speech is amazing. I love how he's listening to Brutus's order not to say anything bad about them, and keeps saying "Brutus is an honorable man. So are they all, ALL honorable men!" Also, I love the irony of the townsfolk wanting to be violent after hearing his speech, and he says "Oh, hey, dudes, no, not that! Don't let my speech do that!" when he totally is trying to incite violence on Brutus and Cassius :P

I also like his sonnets. I memorized Sonnet 60 for school :)
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 am

The first Shakespeare I ever read/watched was Hamlet. That was at least four years ago and I still love it. :P We saw it at a Shakespeare festival and I thought it was hilarious how Horatio was the only character left alive onstage at the end. Hamlet remains my favorite Shakespeare.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Tenethia
Site Admin

Post by Tenethia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X9C55TkUP8 Antony's speech. I love this representation. :D
Youtube is not affiliated with TLC. Pass into it to thy own detriment.

I've never read Hamlet. I have it, but haven't read it. I should do that next.

I have read parts of his histories, including the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry the ... Fifth? I don't remember. But I have it memorized :P
Lady Tenethia, Moderator and Contributor
This is my favorite scripture passage ^.^
The Happy Islander
ROotL

Post by The Happy Islander » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:15 am

I think my favorite bit of Shakespeare is The Tempest. I've got an audiobook of it that I like to listen to sometimes :) I like Miranda. :)
They might not need me but; they might.
I'll let my Head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:05 am

When we started reading Shakespeare in school, everyone was too young to really understand it - I've been meaning to reread Much Ado About Nothing since then, so as to actually see what it is about. :P Since then I've figured out how to actually read and understand it (my Drama class helped with that too) - Julius Caesar was the first play I read that I actually understood (Oh man, Marc Antony's speech is SO LONG).

Has anyone read any of the histories? Are they interesting? I've mostly only read comedies.
hobbit_of_narnia
Knight
Location: ♫ What's this holding me? I'm not where I'm supposed to be! ♪♫

Post by hobbit_of_narnia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Speaking of Marc Antony's speech, a couple years ago I was one of two narrators for a play that summarized a number of Shakespeare's most popular plays, and one kid read all of that speech, but halfway through he glanced up at the audience and when he looked down he forgot where he was. There was a long pause, and then he stammered, "Methinks I have forgotten my line!" Everyone laughed, offstage and on.

And I don't believe I've fully read any of the histories, no.
If somebody has an idea for a Narnia comic that they weren't planning on making themselves, I <------ This offer still
would be so grateful if they would send it to me in a PM. I am running appallingly low on ideas...! <-- stands. :)
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:57 am

*excitedly pokes in* At my theater company this term I'm taking a Shakespeare class! It's really awesome! I've been learning a lot more about Shakespeare and his plays. Last week we performed our monolouges in which I was Lady Macbeth. :) So fun. And now for our performance next month we're practicing doing the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet. I'm Lady Montague in that. (Why am I always a Lady?!) But yes, I love Shakespeare. :) Oh, and I'm reading A Midsummer Night's Dream for school right now. I think my favorite one is Macbeth, and Much Ado About Nothing.
Shield Maiden
Knight

Post by Shield Maiden » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 am

Nice, Jill! (As someone who recently read Mackers - which monologue?)
Quill Jill
Knight

Post by Quill Jill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:28 pm

It's the one where they're planning Duncan's murder--the "screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail"--that whole paragraph.
Oh, and change of plans-I got moved from R&J to Macbeth! So it's the same part, where they're planning the murder. A lot more lines...ahhh!

Return to “The Library (non-Narnian Literature)”